Monday, 10 August 2026

One Track Summer #14: Drink Problem

I haven't had a drink since the year 2000.

It's not good for me.

Did I have a drink problem before that? My liver thought so, because I have Gilbert's syndrome, which the AI Gods tell us "is a common, harmless inherited liver condition where the liver processes bilirubin more slowly than normal, leading to mild jaundice, fatigue, and occasional abdominal discomfort."

I would add that the fatigue I suffered, especially after drinking a little too much, was far worse than "mild", and lasted longer than any hangover you've ever had.

The Thin Yoghurts, on the other hand, clearly did have a drink problem back in 1980.

The A-side of today's song was this...

The Thin Yoghurts - Girl on the Bus

It's not bad. But the B-side is much better...




7 comments:

  1. Sounds unpleasant (your condition not the song). Anything to do with & George, & Sullivan or O'Sullivan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it did make me ask Why Oh Why Oh Why? for awhile.

      Delete
  2. Hey Rol, thanks for posting this, I had only ever heard the a side Girl on a Bus which is great, good to hear the b side.
    I also have Gilberts Syndrome and issues with my Bilirubins, had it for years now. Also heard all the Gilbert O'Sullivan gags, I have tried giving up the drink but No Matter How I Try i just can't :-) I just try and pace myself and stick to beer, no spirits or wine these days.

    Jim Dubai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jim - I never met another GS sufferer! Never was a beer drinker myself... maybe that's where I went wrong!

      Delete
  3. I feel I really should have known this, being from 1980 and the type of song that it is... but it's completely new to me so many thanks Rol. And I do hope your condition doesn't cause you any problems day to day even without alcohol - it really sounds very unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing much for years, touch wood, C.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of Gilbert's syndrome - it sounds horrible and I can quite understand you kicking the booze into touch because of it. Good to hear that you've had no further serious issues since.
    I'd not previously encountered The Thin Yoghurts either, but I like the sound of them, particularly Drink Problem.

    ReplyDelete