Sunday, 27 September 2026

Snapshots #467: Financial Songs

Brother, can you spare a tune...?


15. Could you Be Ethel Snout?

"Be Ethel Snout" was an anagram... for a band who will be featured on Namesakes this week.

The Bluetones - Slight Return

14. Black Sparrow atop Girl In Ring.

Jack Black and Jack Sparrow / Brown Girl In The Ring... Jacks On Brown.

Jackson Browne - Call It A Loan

13. No doubt she had a Woody.

Gwen Stephanie was in No Doubt. And Woody Guthrie.

Gwen Guthrie – Ain't Nothing Goin' On But The Rent

You gotta have a J-O-B if you want to be with me.

12. Sounds like I’m asking my Mum if I should do something.

Shall I, ma?

Shalamar - Take That To The Bank 

...or...

Shalamar - I Owe You One

11. This whole world’s… and weird on top.

"This whole world’s Wild At Heart and weird on top."

THE WiLDHEARTS - If Life Is Like A Lovebank, I Want An Overdraft

10. Found confused in a Belfast salon.

"Belfast salon" was an anagram.

Fontella Bass - Recovery

9. They could have been big, as usual, but it was risky.

The Business - Mortgage Mentality

8. A key ingredient of ambrosia.

AmBROSia.

Bros - I Owe You Nothing

7. Today, we will have a slideshow of mist rolling in from the sea, followed by tea and cakes.

The Mull Historical Society - The Final Arrears

6. Fate’s anklebiter.

Destiny’s Child – Bills Bills Bills

5. Cupid & Eros.

The Valentine Brothers - Money's Too Tight (To Mention)

Simply Who?

4. Protect your chips.

A Flock Of Seagulls - Transfer Affection

3. All kinds of dizzy.

Dana sang All Kinds Of Everything. Dizzy was Gillespie.

Dana Gillespie - Pay You Back With Interest 

2. Kinky Plastic Ape and Traffic Paper.

The Kinks sang about Plastic Man and Ape Man. Traffic sang about a Paper Sun.

Mansun - Taxloss

Interesting story behind the video for that one, if you give it a watch.

1. It’s Sneers Week… don’t scoff.

"Sneers Week" was an anagram.

New Seekers - Beg Steal Or Borrow



Start saving up - there'll be more Snapshots to pay for next Saturday.


9 comments:

  1. #14. Who is Jack Sparrow? #11 ""This whole world’s Wild At Heart and weird on top." I have no idea where that comes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George has been in Portugal for too long!

      Delete
    2. #14. Captain Jack Sparrow is a popular character in a series of moving picture shows, played by Johnny Depp (boo).

      #11. You need to watch more David Lynch movies.

      Not every clue is for every reader, but they're all for me!

      Delete
  2. Snapshots is part of my weekly routine and I enjoy it so much. That said, it's obvious it must take a lot of work (with 15 photos nowadays) and I would hate for you to feel under pressure producing it for us week in week out.

    Please just let us know when you need some time off from it or if you want to reduce the frequency - better that than it stopping completely. We would all get a long lie on a Saturday - that's not happened since you started it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alyson. If I need a week off, I'll definitely take one.

      Delete
    2. " We would all get a long lie on a Saturday" speak for yourself, Alyson. Freckles the chicken starts crowing at 6am! The goats don't let themselves out, neither do the cats! Long lie in? Not since I was a teacher

      Delete
    3. If the goats are capable of commenting on blog posts they are capable of letting themselves out.

      Delete