Wednesday, 22 July 2026

Celebrity Jukebox #82: Kevin Keegan


Usually it's Ben who informs me of the latest candidates for this feature, but yesterday morning it was Sam who announced that Kevin Keegan was no longer with us.

When I was growing up, I paid very little attention to sport, so I knew very few sporting celebrities. Ian Botham. Steve Davis. John McEnroe, obviously. But as football was the sport I liked the least (let's be honest: I actively hated it), my knowledge of footballers was worst of all. I went out of my way to not know who they were.

All that said, I knew Kevin Keegan. And not because of this...


I was pretty certain Nigel Blackwell must have mentioned Kevin Keegan in a song at some point, but all I could find was this...

Bubble perm
Ever since your bubble perm, 
I've gone ex-directory, just in case you need me


Paul Heaton though, he gave Kevin the immortality he deserves...

Nearly, we were actually the reason
Footballer and popstar would perform
All they really wanted was cuddle and a hug
And an XXL like me to keep them warm

Nearly did I get myself run over
When Kevin Keegan clearly blew a kiss
Nearly did we get beat up by bouncers
When Elton John we caused his train to miss


Here's something very loud, with an amusing title.


And here's something a lot easier on the ears...


And here's a tribute from a German ska band...


But like many of the stars featured in this jukebox, Kevin Keegan probably deserves a better song to eulogise him. 

Perhaps he can share one with Jennifer Finch, bass player with L7, who also sadly died of cancer earlier this week... 



No comments:

Post a Comment