Remember the humble magazine, that thing we all used to read before some bozo invented the interweb? Here are some bands that remember it...
MAGAZINE #1
When Howard Devoto left The Buzzcocks in 1977, he went all arty. Actually, iffypedia says "Devoto decided to create a more progressive rock band"... but I'm not sure you could really call Magazine "prog", could you? Post-punk, certainly. Art rock, definitely. Prog? I'll let George be the judge of that...
MAGAZINE #2
Next, a Brazilian new wave Magazine from 1983... as seen on "Mofo TV".
MAGAZINE #3
Followed by an Italian electro-pop group from 1988 who had one single in 1988 named after an Italian TV show about the lives of English miners in the 1920s. I couldn't find the track online, so here's an episode of the TV show. I expect George to watch the whole thing and give me his feedback.
MAGAZINES #4
Possibly of minor interest to Ernie, some Kenyan Magazines, also known as The Magazines Band, from 1997...
THE MAGAZINES #5
These guys came from Des Moines, Iowa, in 2009. They are included today because I liked the opening line of this song... a message to everyone voting on this feature today.
MAGAZINE #6
Abstract, experimental, ambient Dub Techno from Germany in 2011... although the song title sounds a bit Yorkshire to me.
MAGAZINES #7
Philly-based Magazines, though they were singing about New Jersey in 2013...
MAGAZINES #8
Also in 2013, these Magazines are "the son of Lucille (née Collins), a mail room clerk, and Edward Joseph II, a lumber salesman."
MAGAZINES #9
MAGAZINES #10
From last year, here are some Belgian Magazines. "With a high-energy sound full of attitude, they channel the same youthful freedom that once lived in CDs, comics and magazines; a form of escapism where anything feels possible."
MAGAZINES #11
And finally, couple of weirdoes (and I mean that as a compliment) from Massachusetts, from the year they'll call 2026...
Which ones will you be asking your local newsagent to stock up on?











" I expect George to watch the whole thing and give me his feedback." I've got a chicken to rescue, so that's not going to happen
ReplyDelete#1 for me (out of nos. 1,2 3 and 6, the rest being disqualified of course)
DeleteI miss magazines.
ReplyDelete#1 of course. #9 is pleasant enough, while #11 was sufficiently intriguing for me to download the album having named my own price of £0. I'll pass on #4.
ReplyDeleteHave listened to #11 in full now. £0 is about right.
DeleteI miss magazines too, and I hope George rescued his chicken.
ReplyDeleteThere was no chicken rescue, George uses that excuse for everything. It is his equivalent of the dog ate my homework.
Delete