Wednesday 27 January 2021

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #56: Stretchy Pants

 

I got some new jeans the other day. I don't buy clothes until the old ones have fallen apart, but the last time I bought jeans, I finally gave in and went up a size. There's no going back from that, is there? Not in the current climate, anyway.

But the latest jeans are even worse. Not only are they a size up, but they have an elasticated waist. Now Louise claims this is quite normal, that jeans these days often come with a certain amount of stretchiness to give them more flexibility in the joints, and I have no real objection to that since I hate when jeans tear at the knees. The last thing I want is to look trendy. And sure enough, when I checked, they're 1% elastene.

(I struggled to read the small print on the label, but I'm blaming it on the light. My ears are long gone, I need to cling onto my eyesight for a little while longer yet.)

Still, a stretchy waistline seems like opening the dam gates... 


Willie Nelson releases his 71st studio album in a few weeks time (well, he's only 87), and it's a collection of Frank Sinatra covers. If they're all as good as this, then we're in for a treat...


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous; and the painting too. I can't help thinking of this video from Nick Lowe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's comforting to hear that you're like me, in that you don't feel the need replace clothes until they wear out. I fancy that there aren't many of us about. I horrify the youngsters at work when I fess up to having shirts that I've owned for over 30 years - they can't understand why I don't buy new stuff every year. In fact the jeans I'm currently wearing were bought for me as a birthday present from my Mum - and she's been gone for over 10 years.
    I have to confess to succumbing to the solace of the elasticated waistband though. I've got a pair of slouchers on hand to whip out and step into if necessary after consuming a particularly hearty pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As long as you haven't bought a pair of jeans with pre-cut holes in, you're doing alright in my book. Whatever happened to wearing your own holes into jeans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old clothes are comfortable. That's what makes them the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At only 1% elastane they're not what I would call elasticated waist, so no need to worry. I on the other hand seem to have spent the last 10 months in nothing but loungewear with drawstrings or elasticated waists. I refuse to buy any new clothes until I can return to a changing room and try them on first. Anything I've bought online always goes back.

    As for Willie's album, he sounds great and love the premise behind it. As I think you know, his version of Moonlight in Vermont is my favourite. Bet Willie wears very old jeans with not a bit of elastane in sight - He's a very slight chap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...