Tuesday 3 August 2021

2021 Contenders: Another Belter!


If Wet Leg (see previous post) are the best new band of 2021, then Hamish Hawk is surely in the running for best new solo artist?

My attention was first captured by his single Calls To Tiree, and my immediate reaction was, "Is this new? No, it can't be. It must be an oldie. Nobody writes stuff like this anymore. But if it's an oldie, how have I never heard it before? I mean, it's brilliant, like a slightly less morose Nick Cave if he hailed from Scotland rather than Australia. And listen to those lyrics!"

(Look, I have nobody to talk to about music, apart from Ben and you guys... and Sam, who I'm doing my best to indoctrinate...  but the point is, I regularly have conversations with just myself like the one above.)


Anyway, on Sunday evening, as I sat down to write this post and tell you how much I loved the above song, I noticed Hamish had released another belter. I knew I was going to love this one based on its title alone: "The Mauritian Badminton Doubles Champion, 1973". And then I heard the opening lines...

To write a cathedral
I'll need a ballpoint pen
It'll sound like Common People
Sung by Christopher Wren

Blimey. I haven't been this excited by a new artist since... well, Wet Let, obviously. But before them... it seems like a looooong time! Damn it if we don't have to wait till September for Hamish's debut album though!


(Oh, and just for Martin, here he is covering Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want. Like I needed any more convincing.)

8 comments:

  1. I'd have to say Hamish is quirky with a hint of Ivor Cutler. If that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very good stuff indeed. I pre-ordered the new album while playing these tunes, then went over to YouTube to check out more of his music. Then went onto Hamish's own Bandcamp page and bought the rest of his records. You could say I was impressed. Thanks for the intro Rol, but my bank manager says please don't make a habit of it.
    (PS: There's a soupçon of Neil Hannon about his delivery I reckon).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve, Swede. You got me all excited about his bandcamp page... but all I could find was three singles. If you located a secret stash beyond that, do let me know¬

      Delete
    2. Not sure where you were looking Rol, but I picked up a 2018 LP called 'From Zero to One' and a 2019 release entitled 'Laziest River', which purports to be a 12" EP, but actually contains 8 tracks. Currently on my day off and spinning them for the first time - all sounding good so far. Neither record comes with download codes, which is a bit of a drag.

      Delete
    3. I wasn't looking in the "Merch" section, just in "Music". Now I have a dilemma!

      Delete
  3. Oo that's a bit good - I must investigate further
    (aka more 5" silvery discs arriving through my letterbox)

    Oh ... and seconded to the Hint Of Hannon
    (a tribute act name if ever there was one)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I, who knows nothing, thought of Neil Hannon when I listened to the clips. Can totally understand why you’re already a fan Rol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hadn't made the Neil Hannon connection, but I suppose I can see what you all mean.

    As to Ivor Cutler, yes... and you may well dig this, Lynchie...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaEB5ewEkmU

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...