Sunday 10 October 2021

Snapshots #210: A Top Ten Courtroom Songs


Who's afraid of Saturday Snapshots? Not you guys, jumping around like a cat on a hot tin roof, solving even the trickiest clues.

Here's a round-up of this week's answers...


10. Scouse pounds.

Mersey... beats!

The Merseybeats - I Stand Accused

(Yes, I was more familiar with the Elvis Costello version, but he features here often enough.)

9. Fruity Hindu god.

Rama is a Hindu god. (An avatar of Vishnu, to be precise.)

Bananarama - Love In The First Degree

8. They sang songs for the lost and the lonely.

Pearl's a singer. She sings songs for the lost and the lonely.

The Pearls - Guilty

7. A Jock's newborn.

Anagram!

Jackson Browne - Lawyers In Love

6. London, Paris, Washington D.C.

Capital Cities - Kangaroo Court

5. Cowboy kid and Ethan's brother.

Billy the Kid and Joel Coen of the Coen Brothers makes former boxer...

Billy Joel - An Innocent Man

4. Measuring oxymoron.

Shorty Long - Here Comes The Judge

3. Cooke meets Godfather.

Sam Cooke meets James Brown... by way of Marvin Gaye.

Sam Brown - Can I Get A Witness?

2. Red furry dice me!

Anagram!

Freddie Mercury - In My Defence

1. Top of the charts, in (cod) German.


Zee v...one!

Warren Zevon - Lawyers, Guns & Money

More Snapshots, Taylor-made for you, next Saturday.


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I guess so. But it was probably also the giveaway tune... at least since I elected not to include 10cc again.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for SS again, I was too late to join the main court proceedings but present for the verdict!
    The only version of 'I Stand Accused' that I knew before this was the original by Tony Colton & The Big Boss Sound from a '60s beat compilation I had many years ago. I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't heard it, it's slower and so soulful - to my ears works much better than the Merseybeats or EC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was aware of that version, but figured the artist would be too obscure, even for this quiz.

      I like the original, but I grew up with Elvis's cover, so that'll always be my favourite.

      Delete
  3. The Pearls - I even still have a compilation vinyl album from the early '70s with one of their songs (You Came You Saw You Conquered) but don't recall ever having seen them on TOTP or anywhere else.

    Great quiz again as ever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...