Friday 12 May 2023

Product Placement Friday #13: Henri Winterman Cigars


When I was a young boy, my dad smoked cigars. He was doing pretty well financially at the time and those cigars were one of the perks of his job. Then, when I was about 8 or 9, he was made redundant and chose to set up his own business. Money was tight for a few years and the cigars had to go. He moved onto a pipe, which he smoked through most of my teenage years.

When he was about 60, the doctor told him, "you keep smoking that pipe and you'll be dead in ten years". So he quit. That day. Cold turkey. And he never smoked again. Ironically, his death certificate read "Chronic Obstructive Airways Disease", but that was more than 30 years later. The damage had been done, but he did what he had to do to mitigate his condition, and I'll always be thankful for that.

I'm not sure whether my dad ever smoked Henri Wintermans. I remember his cigars came in strong cardboard boxes with a hinged lid, and occasionally he'd get a special one that came in a metal tube. I looked through the list of famous cigar brands and none of them rang a bell. You don't come across cigar smokers very often these days, but if ever I catch that smell, it takes me right back to my childhood. There's a comfort to that.  I never liked the smell of cigarettes, and I hate the sweet stink of e-cigs, but cigars or pipe tobacco, I still have a great affection for. I ought to buy a box, not to smoke, just to remember. 

There's only one song I know that mentions Henri Winterman cigars, but it's a great one. Girl From Mars was Ash's first Top 40 hit in 1995, and the band played it live on Top of the Pops just two weeks after completing their A Levels. Like cigar smoke, this one takes me right back...

Do you remember the time I knew a girl from Mars?
I don't know if you knew that
Oh, we'd stay up late playing cards
Henri Winterman cigars
And she never told me her name
I still love you, the girl from Mars



4 comments:

  1. I only knew Henri Winterman as the Fonz, Interesting to learn he had something to fall back on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post; the power of smells to evoke memories and people is really something - yes,I think you definitely have to buy a box and do a little cigar-sniffing now and then. I really love the packaging there too. Plus a favourite song to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've said before, I love it when you know for sure what song is coming just from the blog post title.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...