Thursday 1 January 2015

My Top Ten Louise Songs


Today isn't New Year's Day here at Top Ten Towers. It's a very special birthday for a very special person. And in celebration... here's ten songs that mention her name...


10. Jona Lewie - Louise (We Get It Right)

See, Jona didn't just stop the cavalry and spend all his time in the kitchen at parties. He was also a whiz on a pair of rollerskates. And, judging from his vocals in the chorus, he was also occasionally possessed by Beelzebub.

9. Bonnie Tyler - Louise

Ah, yes, our Bonnie - a voice that could sink a thousand battleships... as this video ably demonstrates. This isn't her finest hour (it wasn't written by Jim Steinman), but it did knock Neil Diamond - Hey Louise out of my countdown, so you may be grateful for that.

8. Joni Mitchell - Cherokee Louise

Classic Joni storytelling, though the subject matter's a little grim for a birthday party.

7. Ryan Adams - Thank You, Louise

As is this one from Ryan. Lovely song - but really, you guys know how to kill a mood, don't you?

6. Dean Martin - Louise

Now this is more like it!
Every little breeze seems to whisper 'Louise'...
At last, one I feel comfortable dedicating to my special lady...

5. Grandaddy - Jeez, Louise

Jason Lytle falls foul of Louise's mother - she always hated him. Fortunately not something I have to worry about as my "mother-in-law" (the law never really got involved) is lovely.

4. Scott Walker - Big Louise

Nobody does heartbreak and loneliness like Big Scott.

3. Orange Juice - Louise Louise

Back to the 80s for my Top Three, kicking off with Edwyn Collins and an appropriate birthday wish...
Have a wonderful birthday, dear
Such a wonderful birthday, dear
It only comes but once a year
I'll spoil your party with a punky sneer
And I promise, I will try not to do that.

2. The Human League - Louise

Phil Oakey rides around on a barge, singing into a remote control, bemoaning the loss of Louise. Why did she leave him? The clue's in the mullet, Phil. (I should talk - you should see my hair at the moment.)

This is the best song in my collection with Louise in the title. So why isn't it Number One...?

1. Lloyd Cole - Perfect Skin
I choose my friends only far too well...
Ha - got you! I never said it had to have Louise in the title. (See also Visions of Johanna by Bob Dylan.) Here's one of Lloyd's finest, and the line "academia blues" seems a pretty accurate description for his songwriting in general. It's about the girl with "cheekbones like geometry and eyes like sin". A lethal combination, but at least she keeps up to date by reading Cosmo. This is a song of contradictions...
Up eight flights of stairs to her basement flat
Pretty confused huh?
But if you're looking for a moral... strikes me there never has been one.





Thank you for everything, Lou. I love you, hon'. Have a great birthday.

8 comments:

  1. Wishing a very happy birthday to your good lady and a very happy 2015 to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, and the same to you and yours.

      Delete
  2. Perfect! And best wishes for 2015

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to Louise! There's a really nice Tom Waits song called "Tell It To Me" (probably my favourite track on the Orphans triple album), which is all about a Louise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice, and one I'd forgotten because she wasn't in the title. Thanks, Rob.

      Delete
  4. Happy new year Rol, and happy birthday do your wife.

    Sorry that I have been a M.I.A for a while now, but its been a crazy busy time. Even my own blog has dried up, but I have usually been able to give yours a quick skim, even if i don't respond. So keep up the good work on that front. I will try and post more in the new year, it hasn't been a conscious decision to stop.

    I will refrain from being silly and suggesting Louise, Louise by Richard Berry (hehehe)

    As for Lloyd Cole, you will be pleased to hear that I found Rattlesnakes in the bargain bin of a second hand cd shop. Haven't listened much yet, but have liked it so far, so I will be looking forward to discovering that over the coming weeks.

    Have a good one, and keep up the good work.

    Deano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Deano - great to hear from you again. I'll check out the Richard Berry... though I'm a little scared to do so! All the best.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...