Tuesday 17 October 2017

The Top Ten Songs I Hated When I Was A Kid #6: My Name Is Not Roland


Since Martin brought this one up in the comments a couple of days back, it seemed a good enough excuse to bring back this particular series which I've let slide a bit in recent months.

6. Roland Rat - Rat Rapping


I had no problem with Roland Rat. I was 11 when he made his TV debut and although I didn't really have time for Breakfast Television (still a relatively new innovation in those days), I found myself drawn to his humorous shtick, laughing along with Kevin the Gerbil, Errol the Hamster and Glenis the Guinea Pig. I was just the right age. So when Roland released his first single, I was up for singing along...

Except...

Except...

My name is Rol. In case you think that's a pseudonym I adopt for this blog, it's not. Although it's my middle name, Rol is the name I've always been called... by family, friends and even teachers. Except when I went up to High School and one particular teacher took umbrage at me telling her my name was Rol, saying she wouldn't be addressing students by their nicknames, and insisting I use the longer version.

The longer version being...

Well, it's not Roland.

However, as Roland Rat made his way into the pop charts with his familiar Fonzie-like cry of "Eyyyyyy", I soon found myself the butt of lots of rat jokes at school. My first year at high school, and suddenly I was "Roland - like the Rat: Eyyyyyyyy!"

But worse was yet to come: much, much worse, as the number one TV show for our genration, Grange Hill followed soon after by introducing its very own Roland... or should that be Ro-Land... in the shape of tubby miseryguts Ro-Land Browning.



What a gift to the playground wits... and what a dilemma! What would they shout as I walked by now? They were torn between a cheeky "Eyyyyyy!" and the far more unpleasant, "I only want to help you, Ro-Land" (the catchphrase of Roland's only real friend on the show, the wimpy and annoying Janet St. Clair). Ultimately, Roland Browning won out, and the cuter, cooler Roland Rat impersonations were dropped in favour of the much more cutting Roland Browning jibes. Things got so bad for the fictional Roland Browning that he chucked himself under a car. I missed that episode because I had a piano exam. This was in the days before even video recorders. How did we live!?! I had to tune in the following week and work out what had happened while Roland lay recovering in hospital, wimpy Janet at his side.

1983 was not a good time to be called Rol.

Even if Rol isn't even short for Roland...



(It's short for Rolston, but that really isn't important to this story.)


8 comments:

  1. That is a very cool name (the long version) - Shame all those others were around just at the time you hit high school. Kids eh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vaguely remember Roland. Sorry you had to deal with playground name-calling. I had it for a spell as well, and I've seen it done to others. At that age, kids just don't know any better, and they don't realize the hurt it inflicts (until it happens to them, or until they are older!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to reach my own students that the old adage "sticks and stones may break my bones..." is a load of bunkum. People recover from broken bones pretty quickly in most cases...

      Delete
  3. Yes, as Alyson says, a cool name and nicely different. But playground kids and names... it's a horrible thing when it becomes ridiculed, not as if we chose them ourselves. Mine got transformed into a slightly similar sounding boy's name for a while, which I hated, as I have a fairly uncommon name for someone in my age group. I was the only one at primary school, and only one of two in my entire secondary school. For a while I really didn't like that at all - but have come to embrace it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Full disclosure time:
    I own this single - yes, bought with my own money.
    And if that isn't bad enough, I also have the follow-up single (Love Me Tender) on a heart shaped picture disc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so much respect for you right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...