Monday 16 March 2020

Positive Songs For Negative Times #3: Things Can...


It's the uncertainty, that's the worst thing.

Not so much the uncertainty about catching the disease, since the odds still seem to be in most of our favours in that regard... although I'm sure we all have loved ones in the more vulnerable categories.

The real uncertainty comes from what will happen to our society in the next few weeks. That uncertainty is made worse by the fact that most of us have no faith in the people in charge to do what is best for us.

These are unprecedented times and many of us already feel like we're at breaking point. Sometimes it seems like the only thing that keeps us going is our routine. Routine is very important. It helps us function, it gives us comfort, it keeps us sane.

Disruption to the equilibrium may affect us in far more serious ways than any virus can.

At least I can still talk to my friends here. Hopefully we can maintain some kind of routine, some kind of pattern, that soothes our shaky sanities in the weeks to come. We can still stick together, right here, and get through this.

This is a shameless feelgood pop song that was tarnished somewhat by its involvement in a political campaign... depending on your feelings about Tony Blair... although maybe it's time to forgive him his sins in light of recent incumbents. To be honest, no pop song can truly survive being involved in a political campaign. With the possible exception of A Change Is Gonna Come. Although even that promised more than it actually delivered.

The only other thing we all know about this song is who played the keyboards. Although he apparently only played them live; lead singer Peter Cunnah played all instruments on the recorded tracks. It's fair to say things could only get better for the live keyboardist. I wonder what he makes of the current climate? Him, I'd vote for.

More chaos magic then. I'll keep doing this until it actually has some effect...

8 comments:

  1. Bliar (sic) almost ruined that song for me but there were worse examples with various Britpop superstars praising him to the skies - where are they now?
    I'll be 70 in a few months so am wondering whether I should hide for the next few months as I have a couple of those "underlying medical conditions" that make oldies more vulnerable - allegedly.
    At the moment, my biggest problem is not having a car so driving around Scotland looking for toilet rolls and hand sanitiser is a no-no.
    I've decided to adopt a a fatalistic attitude and see how things turn out.

    Good health to you and yours and the various folk who hang around your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it's such a pretty virus, look at those lovely spores. Why does it have to be such a bastard?
    Humour is my salve right now. Keep the chaos magic up. Glad we all have each other too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a very similar post at the weekend about how it's the disruption of the equilibrium (although I called it by the plainer word balance) and uncertainty that is going to cause the most fallout.

    As for the song, a great choice, although as you say most remembered now for that political campaign and their super-smart keyboard player.

    As for the health of the nation I just hope we can "flatten out the sombrero" so that our loved ones can be treated if need be - Let's get through this thing with fine tunes and humour. Nothing else for it really. As Lynchie says good health to you and yours and everyone else around here.

    (Ironically I fell badly last night going out to the garage in the dark and have sprained my ankle badly, and am a bit battered and bruised - All I could think of as I lay there on the concrete was pleased don't let me have broken anything as I don't want to have to go to hospital!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alyson, just saw this about your ankle, how nasty - really hope it heals up naturally and quickly and no need for any medical visits. Remember that RICE tip - rest, ice, compression, elevation! - and wishing you a very speedy recovery.

      Delete
    2. Followed the RICE tip last night and had an online consultation with DD's boyfriend via Facetime. Nothing broken fortunately but could have done without it. Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  4. Working in a supermarket is allowing me to witness the rapid degeneration of respect and civility firsthand. It's already deeply unpleasant out there. Where will it end?
    Our online community is a lifeline to fun, music and good people. Normality, in other words. Long may it continue.
    Take care everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shameless feel good pop songs are what we need .. the more the better
    (although I'm not a fan of the song, I do believe the message).
    Yup - it's the kick to the equilibrium that's the unknown here.
    I like a bit of a routine, and the situation is starting to make me twitchy.

    In the short term, a trip to London has been cancelled for my wifes birthday, the posh holiday for our 15th wedding anniversary is likely to be gone, and any plans for my 50th birthday have been put on hold.

    Still, you've got laugh (or so the saying goes)... and try to recognise obscure pictures of pop stars on a Saturday Morning.

    All the best to all.

    More big dumb pop songs please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought (hoped) 2020 would be a good year.
      Flood, pestilence, bog rolls on Ebay for 300 quid, and my back wheel has a slow puncture

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...