Friday 27 March 2020

Positive Songs For Negative Times #6: Be Safe


I keep trying to write about what's going on, but where do you start? And how do you say something that isn't being said ten times over by everyone else?

At the end of our first week of what my 6 year old son calls "doing the coronavirus", we're prisoners in our own home, trying to balance two full time jobs, childcare, homeschooling, and wondering when our food will run out or the internet will go down.

It's not been a good week, but at least the sun's been out and I've been able to spend time outside with my boy on a mostly deserted playing field near our house, tossing a ball to each other, trying to stay calm. (Hey, we're still allowed to go out once a day, for exercise.)

That picture above of a couple out together at night... it seems like another world.

I've been watching the latest series of The Trip with Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan, but I can't get into it because I keep thinking: this isn't our world anymore. Sitting around chatting in crowded restaurants, strolling down a foreign harbour at dusk surrounded by others, being out in the world, laughing, free...

Is that all gone now? Did we take it too much for granted? 

Today's song isn't as positive as the ones that preceded it in this series, but it is The Cribs' finest moment...

One of those fucking, awful black days
When nothing is pleasing and everything that happens
Is an excuse for anger

An outlet for emotions stockpiled, an arsenal, an armor
These are the days when I hate the world
Hate the rich, hate the happy
Hate the complacent, the TV watchers
Beer drinkers, the satisfied ones

Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things
And then I hate myself for realizing that
There's no preventative, directive or safe approach for living
We each know our own fate 

And the title, at least, is apt.

Be safe.



5 comments:

  1. Great song from their best album.

    Did you see that ITV2 screened Contagion last night? Felt a bit like they were taking the mick...

    Although having said that, an old school friend of mine has started a blog reviewing outbreak/apocalypse/end of day movies, which is quite entertaining to read, except when it gets too close to home. Try at https://coronamovietime.wordpress.com/ if you're in the right frame of mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, taking the mick indeed. A couple of decades ago before 24 hours news and internet and social media and streaming and downloading and even blogging/vlogging, this would have had a far less damaging effect on the mental health of the nation. I might have to give your friend's new blog a miss.

      Delete
  2. I've been keeping well away from live TV in case I accidentally catch the news. This I'd not a new development, it dates back way before covid. I will see if I can get myself in the right frame of mind for your mate's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a song Rol. Well done you on keeping away from live TV as its 24 hour rolling news and as for Social Media a real no-go area if you want to retain any sense of calm. Having a six year old son, it must feel like you HAVE to be calm on the exterior but not easy. We will get through this and it will have to be a better world on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10. Alphaville - Big in Japan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...