Wednesday 3 November 2021

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #71: Buzzcocks


I started watching the new series of Never Mind The Buzzcocks on Sky because I'm a fan of Greg Davies and I watched the original, Mark Lamarr & Phil Jupitus version back in the day, before it all went a bit nasty. Plus, as you will know, I like a good pop quiz.

Except.

Bloody hell.

If you've not watched it yet, and yet you have a strange desire to feel very, very old and out of touch, then please give it a go. Even if it's only to see if you recognise any of the "famous" pop star guests or to see if you can answer any of the questions on chart music of the last 20 years. They do occasionally mention Elton John, or even Morrissey (because, let's face it: fish in a barrel), but the final straw came last week when one of the "famous" pop star guests admitted to having no idea who Keith Richards is. I'm only sticking with it because I've heard Shaun Ryder and Bez are going to appear in one episode, and they're always good value (I'll never forget Ghost Hunting With The Happy Mondays)... after that, I'm going to slip a nice warm blanket over my knees, mix up a Horlicks, and go look for the 90s repeats on Dave. 
 


7 comments:

  1. I often think that if I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire if the £200 question was about 20th Century pop I would require to phone a friend.Or more realistically Ask the Audience

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I don't have Sky, because I would be similarly all at sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To quote Homer: “Everyone knows Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact.” So I'll be giving Buzzcocks a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you DO know Sam Fender...
    (And great choice of song here)

    ReplyDelete
  5. On paper, sounds great value.
    Proven format - check
    Music - check
    Comedy - check
    Greg Davis - check
    (check out his sitcom The Cleaner - worth a watch)

    But in reality - nah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't have Sky so won't see it but like the Saturday night music show, it's frightening how little I recognise from the last 20 years, yet still filling up the grey matter is all the obscure stuff from the 70s. Reflects the amount of time spent listening then and now I suppose.

    Stick with it for Shaun and Bez - The ultimate double-act.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...