Wednesday 18 May 2022

2022 Contenders: Even More Shakespeare

This year, rather than releasing 3 new albums, Weezer are instead releasing 4 new EPs (that's a reduced work ethic for these guys). However, the first one, SZNZ: Spring, has seven tracks on it, so that's bigger than most EPs. Weezer are always worth a listen, but like most artists who release everything they record, they could do with a little more quality control. These days though, where new content is king, they're probably doing the right thing to maximise the old streaming revenue. What do I know? It's a crazy world.

Anyway, Weezer promised these new records were "inspired by magic, Pagan myths, religious rituals, Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons, Shakespeare & more", and track one certainly fulfills the promise of the Bard... it even sounds a little bit "hey nonny nonny", with added Weezer guitars.

Hamlet makes me happy
Falstaff makes me happy
So happy, and I'm happy to be with you
Rosalind makes me happy
Beatrice makes me happy

So happy, and I'm happy to be with you

Hamlet makes me happy too. Sadly, I don't get to teach my favourite Shakespeare play as it's not on the syllabus. Lots of Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet, and last week I even had to teach Twelfth Night... which I've never even read. Just stay a few pages ahead of the class and you'll be fine...



2 comments:

  1. Definitely a bit 'hey nonny nonny' as you say.

    Keep staying those few pages ahead - I'm sure it's worked for teachers for decades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those recorders (or whatever wind instrument it is) certainly give the tune an authentically medieval touch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...