Monday 19 December 2022

My Top 22 of 2022: #16 - 14


16. The Mountain Goats - Bleed Out

We may run out of bullets
We're never going to run out of hostages

Mountain Goats mainman spent his lockdown watching action movies. 

I'm coming to swat you down like flies
'Cause I got guys
Guys on every corner

This is the result: a visceral, pounding assault of guitar anthems with singalong choruses snatched from clichéd dialogue lines straight from the movies. 

We're gonna need
We're gonna need more bandages

It's an album full of three minute revenge fantasies, but one that ultimately concludes that revenge is rather a pointless (if wholly satisfying, especially when experienced vicariously) way to carry on. 

Maybe you'll make it
To the far side of the hill
Maybe you will see me coming
But I don't think you will
Make peace with your family
You walk softly on this earth
I'm gonna leave a mark on you   





15. Bill Callahan - YTI⅃AƎЯ

It's hard to judge Bill Callahan's records against anybody else's, since they dwell for me on an alternate plane of existence. Sometimes I find myself in a trance-like state when listening to Bill. His YTI⅃AƎЯ is strange, yet comforting. I'm not sure I can say any more. This is a beautiful record. I'll let proper reviewers try to explain to you what it's all about.

If you were a house fire
I’d go back in for the cat





14. Del Amitri - Fatal Mistakes: Outtakes & B-Sides

The internet trolls tell me I shouldn't like Del Amitri. They're bland, apparently. So I certainly shouldn't like an album of "Outtakes & B-Sides", should I? Still. Irk the purists, and all that.

I thought this was every bit as strong as last year's comeback album. Where some hear bland, I hear biting cynicism, world weariness and mouth-watering misanthropy in Justin Currie's songs, from the chirpy "We're all going to hell" chorus of Happiness Is It to the weary wisdom of My Adulthood. 

My adulthood is a masquerade I took
From the other adults that I knew
Little did I know, nobody ever grows
They just carry on as children do
Like I've carried all my adulthood
This thing I had to do
Suspend my adulthood, so every day I could
Be free from you

Hardly Coldplay, is it? And that's before we even get to This City Loves You Back, another worthy sequel to Nothing Ever Happens.

Beware, trolls - this is not the only B-sides collection you'll encounter in this countdown. And chances are, the next one will be even blander than this...





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. Will definitely check out the Del Amitri album. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you & yours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...