Tuesday 28 February 2023

Namesakes #23: The Tourists


Last week, you had to choose from three bands called Linoleum... though your biggest disappointment was that none of them came from former Lino Capital, Kirkcaldy.

Above is the cover to 10cc's album Bloody Tourists, home of cod-reggae smash Dreadlock Holiday, a Number One that has probably been consigned to the "never play this again for fear of offending someone who wasn't offended by it in 1978" pile by Radio 2. 

Here are three more bloody Tourists...

THE TOURISTS #1

New Jersey - birthplace of Frank Sinatra, Bruce Springsteen, FM radio, the electric lightbulb and... in 1977, proto-metal / stoner-rock outfit The Tourists, led by one Bob Solberg. This was their only single... 

THE TOURISTS #2

Annie Lennox. Dave Stewart. Long before the world-conquering hi-jinks of the Eurythmics, they were The Tourists... although the band really belonged to lead guitarist and principal songwriter Peet Coombes, the man behind their biggest hit that wasn't a Dust Springfield cover.


TOURISTS #3

Eschewing the definite article, and all the way from sunny Torquay, home of Sydney Opera House, The Hanging Gardens of Babylon and herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain... here's a bunch of contemporary Tourists who "combine elements of shoegaze and synth-pop with deeper-rooted post-punk influences, crafting their own identifiable brand of dark, melodic dream-pop". Whatever happened to just writing catchy tunes, eh?


As usual, discogs sent me down a couple of rabbit holes which didn't lead to any actual tunes, though I was most disappointed to not find audio from Las Tentadoras... I mean, clearly this one would have been a winner.


Special mention goes to country rock pioneers Wynn Stewart & The Tourists, who were disqualified by the VAR. I'd have let you in, guys, I really would. And if it were up to me, the wonderful Lonely Tourist would also be shoe-horned into this week's post.

Which Tourists would you welcome in your record collection... and which ones just need to go back where they came from?



8 comments:

  1. I'm not going to rant, but even before listening to the tracks there is no way I am voting for anything with Annie bloody Lennox in it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Track 1 is terrible, I was quite liking it up until the "I need my music" vocal bit, and suddenly it was just a load of bobbins. So it's track 3, which is actually quite listenable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm biased, as she's from Aberdeen, but it's the Annie Lennox Tourists for me. Saw them perform this song in an Aberdeen nightspot just as it was 'riding high' in the charts, and yes, she was glad to be back home again that night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Ehburdeen loon also likes Annie Lennox Tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to our lovely Annie/Aberdeen connected blog pals but it's #3 for me. I wonder if Basil would agree?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of Annie Lennox or The Eurythmics however i do love this song by The Tourists, so purely on the strength of this tune it has to be number 2 for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm voting for Annie Bloody Lennox - recently bought a Best Of Tourists. Not bad, the best tracks are the singles. Fairly decent 80s power-pop

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Alyson obviously (although if Wynn Stewart to enter I would probably have voted for him)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...