Sunday 5 February 2023

Snapshots #278: A Top Ten Edge Songs


I don't really have an opinion about The Edge. I mean, it's not as though he's the most annoying man in music. Although he does share a stage with him, and has chosen to do so for 40 odd years, which does make you wonder. Apparently they called him The Edge because of his weird shaped head. Not because he keeps edging out of the room whenever that egotistical dullard/blowhard he works with shows up. 

Anyway. Here are ten songs that have nothing to do with David Howell Evans...


10. Not Ralph, Veronica or Robert.

Not Ralph Waldo Emerson, Veronica Lake or Robert Palmer.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Knife Edge

Last time, I featured ELP here, back in Snapshots #78, Charity Chic was keen to point out that there was much more to Keith, Greg and Karl than just Fanfare For The Common Man. (Yes, you were, CC. Check here if you don't believe me.) That was April 2019. How time flies...

9. Invincible, like Elvis Costello's mouth 

Elvis Costello has a Mouth Almighty.

The Almighty - Over The Edge

8. A definite reason to be cheerful.

Ian's boy, obviously.

Baxter Dury - Picnic On The Edge

7. Ben's cursing Peter, due to a mix-up.

"Ben's cursing Peter" is an anagram.

I almost stopped myself this week, wondering "can you really justify featuring Bruce so often in these countdowns"? Then I reminded myself that this is my blog and I can do what I want. Maybe when I run out of anagrams... which doesn't look like being any time soon.

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town

6. If you don't guess this one right, I'll call you a moderately insulting name. 

That's a pretty minor threat.

Minor Threat - Straight Edge

A song that gave its name to a movement wherein those taking part "refrain from using alcohol, tobacco, and recreational drugs, in reaction to the excesses of punk."

5. Mad as a...

Mad as a box of frogs, obviously.

A band formed by the members of the Yardbirds who didn't go on to greater things.

Box Of Frogs - The Edge

4. School of Aspiration.

Dream Academy - The Edge Of Forever

3. It's a Wonder, she's a thief.

Stevie Wonder nicks stuff.

Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen

2. Fe+C.

The chemical symbol for Steel. Played by David McCallum in Sapphire & Steel.

David McCallum released four instrumental albums in the 60s, in collaboration with David Axelrod. As classically trained musician, McCallum composed many of the tracks and conducted the orchestra that performed then. His most famous track is The Edge, which has been repeatedly sampled in hip hop circles, most notably by Dr. Dre.

David McCallum - The Edge 

1. Bar.

What? You never had a Wham Bar?

(That picture really didn't need any words. The clue was in the image.)

A truly great pop song...


Edge on back this way next Saturday for more Snapshots...


2 comments:

  1. I am on the process of consulting my lawyer! You will note that my comment contained the word sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the problem with the Internet. People getting shamed for comments they made year ago when they were young and foolish.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...