Thursday 10 August 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #103: Robbie Robertson

The news came through late last night that the great Robbie Robertson has left us to do the last waltz his old pal Levon Helm in that great Band in the sky. On hearing of his death, most people (who know anything about anything) will have thought of this...


Me though... being a child of a very specific time... thought instead of one of the first two dozen 7 inch singles I bought with my own money. It still gives me the shivers...


Three and a half decades later, that's one of Sam's favourite songs too.

The jukebox has only one tribute song to play today, but it comes from one of my favourite bands. Lead singer Craig Finn admits, "I was (and still am) obsessed about the Last Waltz and the Band in general."

She said my name's Robbie Robertson but people call me Robo
I blew red white and blue right into a tissue
I came right over the counter just to kiss you


Take a load off, Robbie.


7 comments:

  1. Somewhere Down the Crazy River was the first one that popped into my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That voodoo stuff don't do nothing for me.

      Delete
  2. The first one that came to my mind was Fallen Angel, his touching farewell to Richard Manuel.
    'In my dream the pipes were playing
    In my dream I lost a friend
    Come down Gabriel, blow your horn
    Some day we will meet again...'

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite version (if not the definitive version) of The Weight is the one from The Last Waltz with backing from The Staples Singers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although this one is none too shabby:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1GU1qQ1zQ&ab_channel=PlayingForChange

      Delete
    2. Two very fine versions. Good to see Lukas Nelson on the international one too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...