Tuesday 13 February 2024

Namesakes #72: The Drifters


It's Half Term this week, so I'm taking it easy.

Fortunately, George is here with another edition of...


Bands With The Same Name (a series formerly known as Namesakes)

I knew there were two sets of Drifters, and thanks to a certain website I’ve discovered some more. Not too many, though, unlike my previous stint here, so no excuse for not listening to each track all the way through. 

THE DRIFTERS #1

Most of you will be familiar with one set of The Drifters, possibly through their early 1970s UK hits. You might, and certainly should(!!) be familiar with an earlier vocal group with the same name, that was formed to support the talents of Clyde McPhatter...

Now that is quite obviously the best version of The Drifters, but as Mr CC would say, the next lot are not too shabby either...

THE DRIFTERS #2

The second Drifters were originally called The Five Crowns, and they were simply renamed by their manager who somehow owned the group name. (I believe that this was also tried with Fleetwood Mac in the early 1970s but alas the better known version won out.)  

Anyway, The Drifters had a plethora of hits in the early 1960s such as Save The Last Dance for Me, and underwent more than a plethora of personnel changes. They drifted from the Atlantic record label and across the Atlantic Ocean to the UK, scoring some hits in the 1970s, such as...

And I’ve never said that opening line to my partner.

THE DRIFTERS #3

The third Drifters, after a threatened legal challenge and name change, became a much loved British musical institution. Who’d have thought it after hearing this?

Hank Marvin does not feature in that song. Mr Webb does.

DRIFTERS #4

I’m taking a slight liberty with the fourth band, who are called Drifters. But they’ve got a flautist, they’re from Sweden, so they’re in!

Alas, that 1970's pop song doesn’t have any fluting. I think I might have misled you with the initial promise.

THE DRIFTERS #5

I expect Ernie is a lot more familiar with these earnest South African rockers than I...

THE DRIFTERS #6

Back to some doo wop / rhythm and blues Drifters...

THE DRIFTERS #7

And yet another vocal/R&B group with another belting song...

THE DRIFTERS #8

And we drift to a close with some bluegrass Drifters...

And a fine song it is too.

Eight tracks only. Put your listening ears on!



2 comments:

  1. Number 2 for me, followed by Number 1. The rest aren't bad, as this feature goes...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...