Monday 12 February 2024

Idiomusic #3: Burning Bridges

I met up with my former boss a week or so back. There was a work-related reason to do so, but when I told Ben I was meeting her, he screamed at me through the medium of Whatsapp. Why would I want to see someone who caused me so much grief? Well, for one thing, she's moved on now and isn't working at The Bad Place, and I recognise that the pressure she put me under back then wasn't coming from her, she was but the conduit through which shit rolled downhill from upper management. We were able to talk about that and put it behind us, I think, and that was a positive thing. 

But the other reason I was willing to see her is that old maxim about never burning your bridges, particularly when it comes to employment. God willing, I'll never have to go back to work in a college again, but if I ever needed to...

All of which got me thinking about songs involving burning your bridges... or not burning them, as the case may be. Let's kick off with Canadian singer Jack Scott, who Dave Marsh of Rolling Stone once called, "undeniably the greatest Canadian rock and roll singer of all time." 


The Cravats came from Redditch in 1977, with lead singers Robin Dallaway and The Shend. Now, I'm trying not to be prejudiced against The Shend because his choice of name is frustratingly reminiscent of that muppet from The Irish Band. Not as Edgy though, which is good. You may be interested to learn that the Cravats are still going strong, minus Dallaway, but with the addition of Rampton Garstang on drums, Joe 91 on bass and Viscount Biscuits on guitar. I think they might be the Viz house band.


Now it way well be that you're not actually burning your bridges to cut ties with people you no longer want to associate with. You might just be burning them to keep warm. In which case, can I suggest a nice Cardigan?


Last week, to prove how uncool I am, I included a song by unfairly-reviled New Jersey rockers Bon Jovi. It proved so popular (especially with Ernie, George and CC) that I thought I'd include another one today. 

Jon By Jovi once famously stated that he'd seen a million faces and he'd rocked them all. That was in his younger days though. He's grown up since then...

I've seen a million faces and I've lived a couple lives

Not quite as catchy, is it, Jon?


I think he might have watched The Sound Of Music before writing that one.

OK, the three fine gentlemen mentioned above clearly aren't fans of Mr. By Jovi. But I bet they like this guy...


Lots of bridges getting burned in the world of country music, it seems...


And here's a lady I'm very much looking forward to seeing at our local village hall next month...


Meanwhile, I hope the Walker Brothers didn't burn their bridges while their ship was coming in...


While here's another sailor who needs to keep his boat away from them...


There are a heck of a lot of bridges that could be burned in Japan...


But if you choose to burn your bridges, let's hope there's a Survivor...


And if you're near a burning bridge, chances are you could get scorched... unless you stick with these guys...


Looking for someone to blame your bridge burning antics on? You could always say it was UFO-related...


Here's the Welsh answer to the Foo Fighters, slightly more interesting for that...


Next, one for Brian...


Laughing Clowns were an Aussie post-punk band in the 80s, influenced by free jazz, bluegrass and krautrock. Which might explain this...


If your ears need soothing after that, here's the divine Ms. B...


Collective Soul made a brief appearance on the UK charts (at #80 in 1994) with their debut single Shine, and were never seen again. Meanwhile, in the States, they sold enough records to fill their swimming pools with caviar. This was from the same album as Shine...


And now... something to make your day.


Taken from the album "Clint Eastwood Sings His Classics" (!) and the soundtrack of the movie Kelly's Heroes... although in the movie, it was performed by these guys...


Almost at the end now. Time for the band that won New Faces in 1974. I was only two, but I'm sure the rest of you remember them well...


Can you guess the track that sprang immediately to mind when I first considered this particular idiom? 

Me and my mate Rich loved this song when we were 16. I think Rich loved it in an ironic way, because he had a much cooler taste in music than me. I would say that I loved it in an ironic way too, but given what you know about my shameless taste in music then and now, nobody would believe me. There's something about the sea shanty-esque guitar refrain which is both extremely annoying and a hopeless earworm. Even now, when I listen to it, I think, "you shouldn't like this... it's wrong". But then I can't help smiling at the Quo rock their guitars back and forth in time with the music...
 

At least Jez will be happy.


7 comments:

  1. I don't recall being offensive to Jon Bon Jovi but am happy to concede that I probably was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't accusing any of you of direct action.

      I look forward to seeing Mr By Jovi appear in George's new series though...

      Delete
  2. I can picture the Mike Curb Conurbation in a scene in A Man Called Ironside

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Jason & The Argonauts concert, no Argonauts though. Me and 29 other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why you ought to have a blog of your own, George, rather than just randomly gatecrashing other people's.

      Delete
    2. No thank you. tried that. I'd rather post inane comments on other people's efforts

      Delete
    3. The world weeps for its loss...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...