Monday 27 August 2018

2018 Contenders: God's Favourite Customer


After a couple of months deliberation, I've arrived at the conclusion that God's Favourite Customer is the best Father John Misty album to date. It comes hot on the heels of last year's patience-testing, self indulgent, tune-forgetting "almost masterpiece" Pure Comedy... which I reviewed here. The good news is, Josh Tillman has reined in his excesses on the follow-up, focusing on the stuff he does very well - warmth, wit, a wry eye on the human condition, taking the piss out of himself - while not forgetting to bring the catchy melodies that made his first couple of records so memorable.

The closing track sums up FJM's appeal in a nutshell. We're Only People (And There's Not Much Anyone Can Do About That) is the kind of song it seems only he can write. Cynical on the outside, but with an inner sincerity that seems so at odds with that. I find it quietly heartbreaking... and yet, full of hope.

Oh, friends, all my friends
Oh, I hope you're somewhere smiling
Just know I think about you more kindly than you and I have ever been
And I'll see you the next time around the bend

Then there's Please Don't Die - a tender-hearted suicide anthem that celebrates hopelessness and then begs us not to do it...

Oh, honey I'm worried 'bout you
You're too much to lose
You're all that I have
And, honey I'm worried 'bout you
Put yourself in my shoes
You're all that I have so please don't die
Wherever you are tonight

Yeah, well, that one kicks me in the gut, given recent events. We bring our own perspectives and experiences to songs sometimes. This one came along just when I needed it in that regard. (No, I am not suicidal. But I guess I knew someone who may have been.)

The title track is the one that's grown on me the most with repeated listening. It's the closest FJM has come to writing a Steely Dan song yet. The intro could by Becker & Fagen. I listened to this five times on repeat the other morning, I just couldn't get enough of it.

My favourite song on the album though is still the first I heard - the one I had to download immediately, long before I even knew there was another album coming along (so soon after the last one). Mr. Tillman features a hotel receptionist ticking Father John off for his bad behaviour, and includes some of the best lines he's written. It works well because of a little coda on the end of each line that allows for three extra notes / words that make the conversation run on and on without a breath. I love the way he makes virtually everything the receptionist says into a question... even though she's ripping into him as she does it. I've been listening to this song for about 6 months now and I'm still not tired of it... particularly the bit about Jason Isbell.

 And oh, just a reminder about our policy
Don't leave your mattress in the rain if you sleep on the balcony
Okay, did you and your guests have a pleasant stay?
What a beautiful tattoo that young man had on his face
And oh, will you need a driver out to Philly?
Jason Isbell's here as well
And he seemed a little worried about you

2 comments:

  1. Was umming and ahhing about this one after the fleetingly OK but ultimately disappointing Pure Comedy (it's good, but not that good).

    The convincing of this review and a quick Spotify browse confirms that FJM has a further sale


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...