Tuesday 14 August 2018

Hot 100 #71


The band SR-71 (named after a Lockheed fighter plane) have actually featured on this blog before as they recorded the original version of my favourite Bowling For Soup Song, 1985. They also had a couple other minor hits, most notably Right Now. Worth a listen if you like the early noughties American guitar band sound of Blink-182 et al.

Songwise, the number 71 proved much trickier for you guys. In fact, this is the closest this feature has yet got to...


Alyson tried her best with '71 I Think I'll Make A New World by the Magnetic Fields, from one of my favourite albums of last year, but as I may have mentioned when I began this feature many, many weeks ago, I'd ruled that album out; otherwise I could have featured one of its songs every week so far. Each track on the album is about one year in Stephin Merritt's life, so I could have chosen this glorious gem for '78 or this belter for '77 or this euphoric classic for '76... well, you get the picture. Time will sadly run out for this as an option come '66 Wonder Where I'm From, the opening track on 50 Song Memoir. Until then, you're welcome to suggest them even though technically they're disqualified.

The only other suggestion this week came from Rigid Digit - and yes, it was another one that could have satisfied multiple entries on this countdown: Saturday Gigs by Mott The Hoople...

In Seventy-one all the people come
Bust a few seats but it's just in fun
Take the Mick out of Top of the Pops
We play better than they do

That one's only got a couple more weeks to run too.

What else did I find lurking in my record collection for Number Seventy-One then?


The final track on the album Black Cadillac by Roseanne Cash is called 0:71. The record was written while Cash was dealing with the recent loss of her mother (Johnny's first wife, Vivian Liberto Cash Distin), stepmother (June) and father, but 0:71 isn't actually a song... it's 71 seconds of silence. One second for every year of Johnny's life. A cool tribute, but hardly a "song" I can choose to represent 71 in the Hot 100.

Fortunately, I didn't have to rely on it because I also found this, from the late Jason Molina's second band (his first was Songs: Ohia). Some nice, laidback Americana for a Tuesday morning...



Which brings us to 70. Hopefully there'll be less tumbleweed next week, though I still expect some Mott The Hoople...

6 comments:

  1. How about Against The 70's" by Mike Watt, with his grunge super-group back-up band (Vedder, Novoselic and Grohl)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing from me but I am ready for next week.

    71 seconds of silence? - Quite a tribute and a bold move by Ms Cash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 70 Cities as love brings the fall by Simple Minds.
    5(70)5 by City Boy if you are allowed to bend the rules a little for a good old tune :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without reverting to Mott's Saturday Gigs again, and despite it's a year (or collection of years), I'll punt for
    Ed Harcourt - Born In The 70s

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... and I'm going to have to add The Stooges - 1970
    (and will probably suggest another Stooges track next week - can you guess which one?)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...