Thursday 21 November 2019

2019 Contenders: The Power Of Love


There's always some debate whenever I mention my love for Huey Lewis & The News. Sometimes I think I'll start Huey Fridays and devote one day a week to extolling the virtues (non-ironically) of this most fun and life-affirming band. But I suspect I'd be pissing in the wind, and it'd just give Martin another excuse to drag out that American Psycho clip... to which I can at least respond with this these days, because it always gives me a chuckle.

But that's not why I'm here today. No.

I haven't even had time to write about the latest Sun Kil Moon album yet, when here comes another delicious offering from the too, too prolific Mark Kozelek, another artist who polarises opinion, just like Huey... though for quite different reasons.

This time Kozzer's teamed up with singer/violinist/female Bobby McFerrin impersonator Petra Haden. Perhaps her sweet-yet-slightly-oddball musicality has rubbed off on old grumpy guts as he's actually remembered to sing a couple of times on this record (as well as more of the usual mumbled diatribes... one 19 minute track on this album is called 1983 Era MTV Music is The Soundtrack To Outcasts Being Bullied By Jocks... which will keep me happy for a while, anyway).

This... this is beautiful though. One of the best songs of the 80s (shut up, you're wrong) given an entirely new spin by a misanthrope and an angel. Listen without prejudice...



If you want more Petra Haden, I recommend her versions of...

God Only Knows

The Boys Of Summer

And Bernard Herrmann's theme tune to Psycho.


4 comments:

  1. Many years ago I threw someone's Huey Lewis records out of the window of their student flat. Heavy drinking was involved. I also remember having to borrow a pair of the ex-Huey Lewis record owner's trousers the next day. And I never returned them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is tantamount to harassment, George.

      Delete
  2. Was sad to read Huey is unable to do concerts now due to a troubling hearing issue. All those years of touring can't be good for your ears.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...