Sunday 3 July 2022

Snapshots #247: A Top Ten Bear Songs


If you can't bear the suspense any longer... here are yesterday's bear-faced answers...


10. This drives one crazy!

"Drives one" is an anagram. The artist in question was also famous for his truck-driver-themed hits. Of which this, his only UK chart entry, is surely his worst. I mean, I like a mawkish talky CB-flavoured country tune as much as anyone, but even I have to draw the line somewhere.

 #4 in 1981 though... those of you who were old enough to be buying records in that year, I blame you. I was only 9, so nobody can blame me.

Red Sovine - Teddy Bear

Also, it's hard not to listen to that all the way through without wondering if Operation Yewtree were forced to investigate...

9. Half a sugar creates desire.

Tate & Lyle make sugar. Half of that is Lyle... and you'll love it!

Now this is how to write a country song about bears! What a tune!

Lyle Lovett - Bears

8. Goodbye Lucille touched the button to get things going. 

Goodbye Lucille is a song about Johnny, Johnny, Johnny...

If you pushed that button, you probably pressed 'on'.

Johnny Preston - Running Bear

7. Hard rock from Scottish cow and Fab Mum.

A Scottish cow is an Aberdeen Angus.

A Fab Mum would be Julia Lennon.

 A hard rock is a stone.

Angus & Julia Stone - Grizzly Bear

6. In sleep, initially.

In sleep, you can find the initials EP.

Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear

Not my favourite Elvis song by any stretch, but it's still a damn sight better than Red Sovine's Teddy Bear.

5. Going to Hell.

The Damned - Edward The Bear

4. Found in horrid Elvis song.

HorRID Elvis song.

Ride - Polar Bear

3. German cane.

Same as a Gerry reed.

Jerry Reed - The Preacher & The Bear

2. Thorny Jam Fetish.

Anagram!

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

1. The cost of a partridge is fixed.


In this shop, the Alan Price is set.

The Alan Price Set - Simon Smith & His Amazing Dancing Bear

(Written by Randy Newman, but Alan made it his own.)


I expect you back here next Saturday morning, with marmalade sandwiches... or you'll get a hard stare.


3 comments:

  1. I was an adult in 1981 but I promise you, that Teddy Bear song was never bought by me. Operation Yewtree material as you say.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...