Friday 29 March 2024

The List #2: Good (Friday) Tunes


Generation X - Listen

I'm currently enthralled by the book Listen, by Michel Faber, one of my favourite fiction writers who's now branched out into non-fiction with a fascinsating analysis of how and why we listen to music, and all the benefits we gain from doing so. Faber describes Listen as the book he's wanted to write his whole life... and guess what? It's also the book I've been wanting to read for a similar length of time. 

Lambchop - Listen

Even though Michel and I don't exactly share the same taste in music (he was brought up on pop, but more recently his tastes tend towards the avant garde), we share the same passion for music as a form, and so much of what he has to say resonates with me.

Wondermints - Listen

This is especially so when Michel touches on one of this blog's favourite subjects - "tribalism". 

Holly Golightly - Listen

"Music is a battleground of identity and allegiance," the writer tells us (far more eruditely than I've ever managed to express the same notion), quoting Peter Gabriel who once said that, music is "part of the artillery with which you announce yourself to the world". "Liking the right music," Faber adds, "wins you recognition and approval from your peer group... liking the wrong music provokes alienation and exclusion".

Al Green - Listen

Here is another selection from The List, that neverending pressure cooker of tunes constantly on simmer in my mind. How much of it will win me recognition and approval... and how much will have you throwing cabbages?

Let's start with some Hirth Martinez, a singer-songwriter from the 70s whose debut album was produced by Robbie Robertson (on Bob Dylan's recommendation). I particularly like the track Altogether Alone, which reminds me of Gilbert O'Sullivan and Dean Friedman (put those cabbages DOWN), so Hirth has gone on the list to investigate further...

I've become obsessed with the Kate Bush song Army Dreamers lately. It was the third single from Kate's third album, Never For Ever, in 1980... though it was rather overshadowed by its predecessor, Babooshka. Now I loved Babooshka, and not just for the video... which is the maddest thing Kate ever did... but I never paid much attention to anything else from that album. 

I'm not sure why I started listening to Army Dreamers after all this time, but this simple tale of a young soldier coming home in a box has really struck a chord in recent weeks, especially the call & response chorus. Now I think I might even like it more than Babooshka. (Shh. Don't tell anyone.)

(What could he do? Should have been a rock star)
But he didn't have the money for a guitar
(What could he do? Should have been a politician)
But he never had a proper education
(What could he do? Should have been a father)
But he never even made it to his twenties
What a waste, army dreamers
Oh, what a waste of army dreamers

Also, the video. Sigh.


Last week's Snapshots featured Swedish Brit Pop band Grass-Show. (How can you be a Swedish Brit Pop band? Ask the 90s.) I was very fond of their 1997 album Something Smells Good In Stinkville back in the day, and I've been listening to it again recently. I'd completely forgotten their rocky cover of this fiendishly catchy 1993 Number One from their countrymen, Ace of Bass. I always hated this song. Until...


Finally today, here's a new tune from a Cinicinatti indie band called HARBOUR. They insist on the capitals. (Don't start me.) This is from their album To Chase My Dreams, Or To Just Lie Down? Extra marks. It's the sort of song I'd love to put on one of Sam's in-car mix CDs, except for the fact they frequently sing "Just fucking run me over", which I'm not sure he's ready for yet. Still: I am. Must check out the album...



12 comments:

  1. You may or may not have cool taste in music, you may or may not have come to music by the same circuitous route that I have; you may just, very much like me, like to LISTEN.
    Thank you for listening, Rol. Thank you for playing Generation X. And thank you for your quite splendid blog. The time you must give over to your wondrous ongoing project is nothing short of amazing. Have a fab weekend.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  2. " which reminds me of Gilbert O'Sullivan and Dean Friedman"
    You might expect a typically snooty comment from me regarding the above, but what intrigues me s if any of your readers would take that as a recommendation. I am at this moment listening to the song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For once I agree with George. Gilbert is great.

      Delete
    2. Who'd have thought Gilbert would be the great uniter? We should send him to the Middle East.

      Delete
    3. I apologise for suggesting I am a fan of Mr O'Sullivan's music. Although I suspect you knew that.

      Delete
    4. Too late. We've ordered the plaque.

      Delete
  3. I had a Gilbert O'Sullivan scrap book when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can thank your lucky stars it wasn't a Dean Friedman book

      Delete
    2. If I had a drum kit, I'd be badum-tishing it now.

      Delete
  4. Been way too long since I have seen Wondermints featured on any blog. Nice choice. Seems like a very interesting read, Rol. Thanks. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up about that book Rol. I love such reads.

    As for those cabbages, I really liked the Hirth Martinez (unusual name) song a lot so they may be coming my way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...