Tuesday 9 April 2024

Namesakes #80: The Outsiders


The Outsiders was one of the many, many comics I read when I was growing up. They were a team of off-beat superheroes put together by Batman when he fell out with the Justice League, though inevitably they ended up falling out with Batman too. Everyone falls out with Batman, because he's a bit of a dick, to be honest. 

The Outsiders proved to be the most popular band name I've come across to date. Of the acts listed on discogs, I probably rejected more than I selected. These, then, are the cream of the Outsiders crop. You might want to put the kettle on and make yourself some sandwiches for later...


THE OUTSIDERS #1

I'm gonna start with this because it's excellent. Early 60s, that's about all I can tell you. There's a couple of other tracks on youtube by the same band, but they're very formulaic Beach Boys / Chuck Berry rip offs. This, on the other hand, is a cut above. Although it might owe a slight debt to Jimmy Dean's classic Big Bad John


THE OUTSIDERS #2

Dutch garage band who got together in 1964, comprising Wally Tax, Ronnie Splinter, Appie Rammers , Tom Krabbendam, Leendert "Buzz" Busch, and Frank Beek. Far be it from me to find comedy value in Dutch surnames. We're past all that - it's not the 1970s anymore, granddad, and this ain't Mind Your Language.


Look, George - one of them has a flute! Don't think he's playing it on this though...


THE OUTSIDERS #3

Surrey-based Outsiders with a song written and produced by a young Jimmy Page in 1965. Guitarist Mick Wayne would later twang his strings as part of Bowie's Space Oddity. 


THE OUTSIDERS #4

1965 US garage band getting jealous over all the girls fancying guys with moptops. They might have called this a novelty record back in the day, but I still dig it, daddy-o. The guitarist is keen to tell us on youtube that he went on to play with The Left Banke.


THE OUTSIDERS #5


These Outsiders were a garage band from Tampa Bay, Florida, led by singer Hardy Dyal. They released a couple of singles in 1965 & '66 and eventually changed their name to The Soul Trippers to avoid getting into conflict with all the other Outsiders.  


THE OUTSIDERS #6


Arguably the most successful Outsiders were this Ohio band who hit the US Top 10 in 1966 with the song below, followed by three more Top 40 hits. They were originally known as The Starfires, and after their break-up, various band members went to court to fight to continue using the name The Outsiders... ironic, considering how many other bands have used it since.


THE OUTSIDERS #7


Swedish Outsiders, of the prog/psych variety, active in the latter half of the 60s, with a definite nod to Jimi Hendrix.


THE OUTSIDERS #8


Wimbledon punks from the late 70s, led by Adrian Borland who would go on to form well-regarded post-punk band The Sound. Iffypedia tells me, "in sharp contrast, The Outsiders’ music received generally negative reviews". Which seems a little harsh to me...


THE OUTSIDERS #9

Cold War punk paranoia from Huntington Beach. California in 1979. They were also known as "The Fucked", but nobody would book them under that name.


OUTSIDERS #10

Icelandic punks from 1981 - Utangarðsmenn is the Icelandic for Outsiders.


THE OUTSIDERS #11

Can't tell you much about this lot other that I found them on a 1982 New Wave compilation... and they're not half bad.


THE OUTSIDERS #12

Irish band from 1986 led by singer-songwriter John Ryan... points added for the vinyl crackle.


THE OUTSIDERS #13


German synth-poppers from 1986.


THE OUTSIDERS #14

UK guitar band from 1989, and... if I'd heard them back then... I would definitely have bought this single.

 
THE OUTSIDERS #15

This, on the other hand, I wouldn't have wasted my money on. Seven and a half minutes of jazz-rock fusion from 1989... live, to boot! Surely, not even George can dig this?


THE OUTSIDERS #16

This is the sound of South African Goth in 1990...


THE OUTSIDAZ #17

New Jersey rap collective who worked with the Fugees, D12... and this dude.


THE OUTSIDERS #18

From Colne, Lancashire, where my old mate Dave grew up. Back in 1995, Dave would probably have been a similar age to the guys singing this... I wonder if they lived on his street?

Extra marks for the harmonica solo around the 2 minute mark...


OUTSIDERS #19

Illinois college boys with a groovy offering from 1996 that sounds more like 1976...


THE OUTSIDERS #20

Brazilian punks from 1996 who make a right old racket, but the fact that a 50" clip of their chaotic live show is preserved forever on the tube of you endears them to me greatly. 

These guys are probably all middle-aged stockbrokers now...


THE OUTSIDERS #21

Oi! From New Jersey. Late 90s.


OUTSIDERS #22

21st Century dance act made up of Vincent Morrisey, DJ Skweez and vocalist Amanda Wilson. Not my bag, clearly, but - y'know, variety,


THE OUTSIDERS #23

Loud and shouty Spanish Outsiders from 2011... but they swear in English.


OUTSIDERS #24


Kiwi Outsiders from about 10 years ago. 


THE OUTSIDERS #25


Swedish Ramones cover band who translate Joey's lyrics into their own language. Genius!


THE OUTSIDERS #26

British blues band from 2016 who eventually stuck a UK on the end of their name to avoid getting sued by a million other bands...


THE OUTSIDERS #27


British rockabilly band from 2018 on Foot-tappin' Records...


THE OUTSIDERS #28


Italian Oi! band who get in purely because I liked their photo... and their song title.


THE OUTSIDERS #29

Back to New Zealand in 2022...


THE OUTSAIDERS #30

Ingenious alternative spelling from these Peruvian rockers who released this track late last year...


I think 30 bands is the maximum I'll allow for this feature... but you should have heard some of the Outsiders I rejected. Ah, who am I kidding? You didn't hear more than a couple of the ones I allowed in. Still, when I'm lying on my deathbed and I look back on my life, I'll know it wasn't all a waste...


16 comments:

  1. Wow 30 bands!
    Very impressive. I think even George will be stumped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a night out in Colne once.The drink of choice for the locals was Mad Dog 20/20

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I can listen to all 30 today. But I'm sure at least one will be better than absolute bobbins played in the bar we were in last night: The Eagles, Supertramp, Hall and Oates.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #4 is dreadful according to my partner, and she's not wrong. I think the awfulness of the preceding 3 provoked this outburst.

      Delete
    2. I'd like to know what you've got to do that's more important than this, George!

      (Also, that sounds like my kind of bar.)

      Delete
  4. Had a quick listen to the first ten, of which I preferred 5. Happy to take George's advice on 11-30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope George will send you the bill for his services.

      Delete
  5. back for more. #7 is the one to beat, great song, #12 is a remarkably tedious 7 min 23 second song, #13 is amateurishly bad, and is also met with extreme disapproval from Jo. Now on #15, I might have to leave the room if I want to save my marriage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how much I hate #17. #18 is listenable, #19 is being snored through by the person next to me, no........she has woken up

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first 21 make the worst compilation album ever. I'm not sure I can play the other 9

    ReplyDelete
  8. After a massive rant about how terrible all the bands are, Jo has finally left the room, at #27. And it was quite a rant, prolonged when I told her I felt duty-bound to listen to all tracks all the way through................which I have now done. And it's #7 for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, your dedication to duty is commended, George. I hope your marriage survives.

      Delete
  9. Oh, and I promise to feature a more well known band name next week...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, another 30 band and counting name list !! I listened to a few that I thought would appeal to me and narrowed it down to two of them which was the Rockabilly one at 27 and the Ripped Shirt at 18 and I think the Ripped Shirt wins it for me this week, I love your dedication in finding all these obscurities.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...