Friday 26 April 2024

The List #3: Records I Can't Buy


A few more songs from the never-ending list of tunes I'm trying to keep up with... and this time, it's all tunes I can't buy on CD.

Often, I find myself listening to an album on the interweb or via some other magical means, and I like it so much that I want a copy on the shelf. Lately however, I've come across a number of records that are just not available on CD. In some cases, it's a vinyl (or cassette!?) only release... in other cases, the record is only available digitally, like this one from Howell Dawdy...


I've featured tracks from Howell's 2021 album Smells Like Love here before. It's only 8 songs long, but every one's a winner and I'd gladly shell out some coppers for a physical copy. Sadly, Howell appears to be an internet-only guy...

In a similar vein, we find Norwegian Americana star Harald Thune, whose 2020 album The Backbounceability of Humans was a particular favourite during Lockdown. 


Harald's website is a little sparse, with spaces for biog and tour details, but not even a tab for shopping, and his music appears only to be available via streaming. Which is a shame, because there's a Harald-shaped hole on my CD shelf...


Kevin Morby is considerably more well known than either Harald or Howell, yet his last record was only released on vinyl. 


This is a tragedy as it's a companion piece to his previous album, 2020's This Is A Photograph, a CD that has pride of place in my collection. I'd love to own a piece of plastic and paper containing the follow-up, but it looks unlikely to happen...


Finally today, it's these guys again.


So desperate am I to own a CD copy of the debut album by Wolves of Glendale that I went on their website (where it's vinyl only, I'm afraid) and emailed them through the "Contact Us" link asking if a CD was forthcoming. No reply. 

Maybe CDs really are a dead format.

Oh well, here's a cautionary tale about the hidden dangers of gym membership...



4 comments:

  1. I very rarely buy cds these days, the nearest store is about 180km away, but I do buy digitally, then burn onto cd. All digital purchases and acquisitions are burnt so I can play them. As for today's music, I have high hopes for thie Norwegian americana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is public service posting, Rol. I am starting to love Wolves of Glendale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the clip from Wolves if Glendale. - Brian

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...