Sam and I visited The National Media Museum (or whatever they're calling it these days) in Bradford this week. Among the attractions was an exhibition about the Eurovision song contest. It was pretty fascinating, even for someone who lost interest in Eurovision post-Bucks Fizz. I even got to perform myself.
Here are a few appropriate tunes, only one of them a Eurovision contender...
I know you've got Dancing with the Europeans there but I'm also partial to a bit of Europe is Our Playground by Suede, though it's a bit melancholy for Eurovision.
Think I'd like to see that exhibition. I really cribbed up on all the past runners and riders before I went to the contest about a decade ago, but have forgotten most of it now. Dana was a cute little button in 1970 when she won that year - Julio Iglesias came fourth!
Roy Wood wrote ‘Song of Praise’ in 1972 for the New Seekers to sing at Eurovision. But the public voted for Beg, Steal or Borrow instead. I think it was another 52/48 vote. Bloody Europe.
I know you've got Dancing with the Europeans there but I'm also partial to a bit of Europe is Our Playground by Suede, though it's a bit melancholy for Eurovision.
ReplyDeleteThink I'd like to see that exhibition. I really cribbed up on all the past runners and riders before I went to the contest about a decade ago, but have forgotten most of it now. Dana was a cute little button in 1970 when she won that year - Julio Iglesias came fourth!
ReplyDeleteRoy Wood wrote ‘Song of Praise’ in 1972 for the New Seekers to sing at Eurovision. But the public voted for Beg, Steal or Borrow instead. I think it was another 52/48 vote. Bloody Europe.
ReplyDeleteJM
https://youtu.be/dZDLiK1uz2Y?si=me1v2j8iC7ssvr6r
DeleteJM