Monday 24 September 2012

My Top Ten Berry Songs



Fruity berries... because it's harvest time. The internet informs me that strawberries aren't actually berries... but bananas are. I don't believe everything I read on the internet, but for the sake of argument - to make this list, all songs must have the word "berry" in the TITLE. That's the rules for today.

Special mentions go to Strawberry Switchblade, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Strawberry Whiplash, Strawberry Story, The Cranberries, and, of course, Chuck. But not Nick. Never Nick. (That said, isn't it about time some tosspot from the X-Factor did a really bad cover of Every Loser Wins, just to get us all nostalgic for the original?)

10. The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever

I think I'm almost through my Hating The Beatles phase. I'm starting to appreciate them again.

That said, depending on your age and whether or not you're still sorted for Es and Wizz, you may prefer the Candy Flip version.

Me, I'd rather have the Hayseed Dixie version. That's some damned fast finger-pickin'!

9. Everclear - Strawberry

The one you've probably never heard of, and reckon shouldn't even be here. Luckily, it's my blog - and I like Everclear!

8. Ron Sexsmith - Strawberry Blonde

Had a hard day at work? Turn the lights down, put this on and...chill.

7. Super Furry Animals - Cloudberries

A song about hummingbirds. I think.

6. The Dentists - Strawberries Are Growing In My Garden (And It's Wintertime)

Tonight I'm going to party like it's 1985.

5. Ocean Colour Scene - Huckleberry Grove

One of their best songs, and it was only ever a b-side. 

4. The Move - Blackberry Way

The dark night of the summer of love.

3.  Prefab Sprout - Blueberry Pies

We're getting a lot of Prefab Sprout on this blog. There's a very good reason for that: Paddy McAloon is FANTASTIC.

Plus, blueberries are my favourite fruit.Which brings us to...

2. Fats Domino - Blueberry Hill

Where else can you find your thrill?

1. Prince - Raspberry Beret

Untouchable... but don't blame me if the video below doesn't work by the time you hit play. His highness does hate youtube. UPDATE... oops, spoke too soon - he's removed it. Good old Prince. Here's the Hindu Love Gods version instead...


 



Gilbert O'Sullivan's greatest hits album is called 'The Berry Vest of Gilbert O'Sullivan'. (I really need to find a way to shoehorn some Gilbert O'Sullivan into one of these Top Tens.) So, with that in mind, which is your Berry Vest Serry Bong?

12 comments:

  1. Some mighty fine cherry picking gone down here Rol. Great work.

    Random thoughts:
    Glad to see Huckleberry Grove in there - a personal fave I thought you may have missed. Plum choice.
    Berry Gordy deserves a mention in despatches.
    Or Wilfred Bramble perhaps?
    Perhaps a Gilbert Top Ten is overdue? (Good luck with that). Although you may end up alone again (naturally)).
    Strawberry Fields Forever at No 10. It's the chart of a madhouse!
    Mike Berry (big star in the 60s and 'The Sunshine of Your Smile' years later). Wasn't he Mr Spooner on Are You Being Served? Oh. I think he was.
    Johnny Logan berry is obviously to be avoided.
    Cherry Bomb - are cherries berries? You seem to know that stuff.
    Black grape could similarly qualify some kind of botanical technicality.
    Donovan's Jennifer Juniper is a quirky nonsense -possibly brought about following magic mushrooms - which are deffo not berries. (I can't think of Junipers without Terry Jones' hermit in Life Of Brian).
    Bury in Lancashire is one of the coldest places on earth.

    I could go on, but I can see you loading the Slawit air rifle.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only to fire a salute to all your hard work, DVD. Points for Berry Gordy and Jennifer Juniper (which I shoe-horned into my planets top ten some time back). One day a Gilbert O'Sullivan Top Ten will happen. Strawberry Fields at #10 - just be glad I included it at all...

      Delete
  2. Strawberry Wine - My Bloody Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always get a point for My Bloody Valentine.

      Delete
  3. I will never tire of Raspberry Beret. The only suggestion I have is 'Sympathy for the Strawberry' by Sonic Youth, but it's not one of their most memorable tracks (I love SY and the album it's on - Murray Street - is a very good one, but I couldn't hum the tune).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sympathy for the Strawberry sounds like something from Sesame Street, not Murray Street.

      Delete
  4. **Sticks his head above parapet..

    I remember thinking at the time, that the girl on the video for Raspberry Beret (who plays the big guitar) was the sexiest woman I'd ever seen. As that video is seemingly unavailable to view, you'll just have to take my word for it. (I almost put my back out doing the silly dance to that song). (Olivia Newton-John circa 1975 was the loveliest woman I'd seen, but not the sexiest. (She was 64 years old yesterday, you know).

    I vaguely recall a guy in an Irish pub singing 'The Gooseberry Song' - but that may have been the Jamesons taking over.

    It was later that Gladys Knight's Pips would come to fruition.

    As for the Lightning Seeds, they get under my false teeth.

    Sprouts aren't berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been lying awake at night thinking about this?

      Delete
  5. YES.

    Can you tell? It's a highlight of my week. I work for Leeds Council y'see.

    Should I take a step back Rol?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way - your contributions are always welcome, DVD... and get me checking out some different stuff too.

      Delete
  6. So glad you said that, our kid - as I've just clocked your Queen Top Ten! My 1st real love for a group too.
    I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...