Thursday 13 September 2012

My Top Ten Songs Named After Hitchcock Movies



After last week's Top Ten Psycho Songs, I was inspired to compile a list of songs that share a name with other famous Hitchcock movies...

10. Duran Duran - Notorious

Hands up if you, like me, used to sing "Mo-mo-monotonous!" whenever this came on the radio. Looking back through nostalgic goggles, it's not that bad.

Is it?

9. Ash - Spellbound

Tim Wheeler's got us in his spell...

8. The Libertines - Vertigo

There may be a U2 song with the same title. You won't find it here.

7. Foo Fighters - Rope

Wonder if the Foos recorded this in one take, as Hitch tried to do with Rope?

6. Television - Torn Curtain

Very unsettling, like all the best Hitchcock movies.

5. Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Frenzy

Great lip-gargling on this track from 1957.

4. Beth Orton - Shadow Of A Doubt
It's true that I have got a head full
Of voices saying the first thing that's in their heart
And I go to throw a ball with my best intention
And it gets caught up and carried away
In completely the opposite direction
3. Elvis Presley - Suspicion

From the legendary songwriting partnership of Pomus & Shuman. Gee. Knee. Us.

2. Amanda Palmer & Neil Gaiman - Psycho

Of course, the Elvis Costello version is better, but I made that a Number One already. So here's the wonderful Amanda Palmer with her slightly less wonderful hubby on vocals. It shouldn't work... and yet, it kinda does.

Download this, free & legal, along with Amanda's version of Lana Del Rey's Video Games, and more... by clicking here.

1. Elbow - The Birds

Like much of Guy Garvey's songwriting, there's a drama here that's really quite sinister...
The birds are the keepers of our secret
As they saw us where we lay
In the deepest grass of springtime
In a reckless guilty haze



OK, those were my favourite songs that share a title with Hitchcock films. Do you have a Rear Window, North By North West or To Catch A Thief in your record collection?

10 comments:

  1. No, but I did actually like that Duran Duran song at the time (and I wasn't a fan at all)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Siouxsie's Spellbound myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually... so do I. How the hell has that gone missing from my music player?

      Delete
  3. Why, I was only listening to Ja Rule's 'Dial M For Murder' with my old nan at the Nursing Home last week as we shared a packet of Werthers. Check out the lyrics; she loves a sing song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog, why you wanna stop the Rule from risin?

      Delete
  4. As ever I'm on the wrong track...hoping for something from The Byrds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not unless 8 Miles High gives you Vertigo.

      Delete
  5. Ha, that's a really clever top ten theme. I really love the mix you've come up with (especially the top four). :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...