Sunday 10 February 2013

My Top Ten Prayer Songs


As it's Sunday, I thought we'd give praise via the medium of song...


10. Bloc Party - The Prayer

I'm sure Bloc Party fans will be most put out to see this at 10, especially considering some of the songs below. What can I say? I never claimed to know what I was talking about.

9. Duran Duran - Save A Prayer

Oh, give me a break, you'd only have moaned if I left it out.

Don't watch the video though, it'll only annoy you.

8. Billy Joel - Travelling Prayer

Not listened to this in years. It's bloody excellent.

7. Otis Redding - My Lover's Prayer

Now that's what I call a voice.

6. Cousteau - She Don't Hear Your Prayer

Cousteau: should have been massive.

5. Danny Wilson - Mary's Prayer

Scottish band Danny Wilson were originally called Spencer Tracy. Sadly, Tracy's estate objected, so they instead nicked their name from a character in an old Frank Sinatra movie. This was their biggest hit: the video has some serious quiff action going on, though not from lead singer Gary Clark.

4. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Idiot Prayer
This prayer is for you, my love
Sent on the wings of a dove
An idiot prayer of empty words
Love, dear, is strictly for the birds
Happy Valentine's to you too, Nick.

3. Madonna - Like A Prayer

I only ever fancied Madonna when she had dark hair, pretty much for the duration of this, her best album (in my humble opinion). Of course, the fact that I was 17 at the time might also have had something to do with it. A couple of years later, she took all her clothes off... and I lost all interest.

2. Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer
Tommy used to work on the docks...
When I came up with the idea for this Top Ten, I was pretty certain this would be Number One. Confound anyone who thinks I try too hard to be cool and indie when I compile these things. (I don't, I just pick the songs I love.) And I so wanted to give it to the Jove... but damn it, then I remembered...

1. Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer

Burt 'n' Hal. 'Nuff said.

See also the Gene cover version. Do not also see the Glee version or the one by Bomb The Bass featuring Maureen. (Yes, Maureen.)


 


Those were my favourite prayers. Which one makes you get down on your knees?


7 comments:

  1. David Sylvian - Answered Prayers, a truly gorgeous piece of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, here's a link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1snf4jTI8

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH's contribution is Disturbed:Prayer

    I have to admit that Madonna:like a prayer is one of my all time favourites. So for me tat would be number one. I think it was a good year at the discos for me! (Tat may be an apt typo)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, I'm too frightened to check out Disturbed's Prayer... I dread to think who they're praying to.

      Delete
  4. Oh my word you missed off Justin Beiber (phew). Did you know the Pope was about to retire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come back in a few days for my musical response to that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...