Tuesday 12 February 2013

My Top Ten Paranoia Songs


I'm not paranoid. I know you're all out to get me.


10. Garbage - I Think I'm Paranoid

Garbage kind of passed me by during the 90s. Listening back now, I should have paid more attention.

9. The National - Afraid of Everyone 

Matt Berninger has little voices swallowing his soul and can't even defend his family with his orange umbrella. What's worse: he doesn't have the drugs to sort it out. 

8.  Barry Andrews - Win A Night Out With A Well-Known Paranoiac

A lost, twisted classic from the ex-XTC Shriekback man. Makes Kafka seem like Jackanory.

7. Art of Noise featuring Max Headroom - Paranoimia

Children of the 80s - be afraid. Be very afraid. Max Headroom is your future.

6. The Kinks - Paranoia, The Destroyer

Or: What happened when Ray took Lola home.

See also the much earlier Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues.

5. Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

Rockwell was Berry Gordy's son. Paranoid music fans claim that this was only ever a hit because Michael Jackson sand the chorus. I claim bollocks: the verses are far more entertaining.
When I'm in the shower, I'm afraid to wash my hair
'Cause I might open my eyes and find someone standing there
People say I'm crazy, just a little touched
But maybe showers remind me of Psycho too much
4. Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a TV
You may also recognise this as the theme tune to the appropriately paranoid Peep Show. If you're gonna be a one hit wonder, make it a cracker.

Paranoia, paranoia
Everybody's comin' to get me
Just say you never met me
I'm runnin' underground with the moles
Diggin' holes
Hear the voices in my head
I swear to God it sounds like they're snoring
But if you're bored then you're boring
The agony and the irony, they're killing me, whoa!
3. James - Out To Get You
Insecure? What you gonna do?
I've seen James perform this live a number of times. Never fails to raise the hair on the back of my neck.

2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

If you weren't paranoid already, Tony Iommi's relentless riff will do the job. As for why Ozzy's so paranoid... wouldn't you be if you were married to Sharon?

1. Radiohead - Paranoid Android

Having already given this the number one spot in my Top Ten Robot Songs, I thought twice about letting it win this battle as well. But in the end, it's Radiohead's Bohemian Rhapsody. I've have been more paranoid about bumping it down to #2. Plus, it's Thom Yorke taking the piss out of his own image - how often does that happen. Recorded in Jane Seymour's house, named after Marvin (my old nickname) from The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, when I am king you will be first against the wall.

What's that?



See also every single record Morrissey has recorded since The Smiths broke up (and quite a few before that). Far too many to narrow it down to just one choice.

But which one is following you home tonight...?

11 comments:

  1. In the course of trying to find te paranoia song that's rattling around the back of my head, I found Kris Kristoferson 'Don't let the bastards get you down' and Black Sabbath Paranoid...don't think either of those would trouble anyone's top ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the latter troubled mine. (#2) ;p

      As for Kris, I've always got time for him.

      Delete
  2. Just about anything by Killing Joke...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - I also thought of you when I picked Number 8.

      Delete
    2. How often do you think of me? And in what context? Should I be worried?

      Delete
  3. I would have thrown private eyes hall and oats as honorable mention

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe this list doesn't include Backstabbers by the O'Jays (1972) and Smiling Faces by The Undisputed Truth (1971)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both good suggestions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who Can It Be Now by Men At Work

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...