Wednesday 6 February 2013

My Top Ten Jennifer Songs


They're Ten A'Jenny...

Get it? Ten A'...

There's no pleasing you people. 

10. Everly Brothers - Poor Jenny

I don't always think of the Everly Brothers as being among the wittiest of lyricists... but this one's a good old fashioned hoot.

9. Belle & Sebastian - Photo Jenny

Only Stuart Murdoch could get away with singing...
It's getting cold, I'll catch the bus
I'll see my friend when she's finished working
Get some fish and chips
Lalalala, what's on the box?
'Man about the house' with Paula Wilcox
OK, Stuart, but what about Richard O'Sullivan?

8. Strangelove - Jennifer's Song

Patrick Duff at his most romantic. Aww.

7. Donovan - Jennifer Juniper

Also featured in my Top Ten Jupiter and Saturn songs. Because I was lazy.
Jennifer Juniper, sitting very still.
Is she sleeping ? I don't think so.
Is she breathing ? Yes, very low.
Hold a mirror under her nose, Donovan. Just to be on the safe side.

6. Fight Like Apes - Jenny Kelly

Excellent song from the Irish alt-rockers who indulge in a spot of cheese rolling in the video.You won't catch Bono doing that.
You're famous for your awkward smile
Your purple hair
Your wayward smile
5. The Killers - Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine

There was genuine excitement to early Killers songs that's gone awol since they became stadium-filling superstars. This is one of those rare early tracks where you can hear the Johnny Marr influence as much as the Springsteen.

4. The Hollies - Jennifer Eccles

A classic 60s Brit-hit... though I have to admit, I prefer the heartbreaking cover version by Eels.

3. Flight of the Conchords - Jenny

Saw them do this live, though sadly I don't think they've ever released it. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. If you've ever bumped into someone who recognises you but you can't remember them at all... watch the link above.

2. Lloyd Cole & The Commotions - Jennifer She Said

If not for my rather unorthodox selection below, in any other reality, this would have been Number One. It's written there in blue, with a heart and an arrow through.

1. Stephen Malkmus - Jenny & The Ess-Dog

Probably a surprising choice, but this is my all-time favourite Stephen Malkmus song, including everything he did with Pavement. The lyrics are just so good: like an award-winning short story. The details make it.
They kiss when they listen
To "Brothers In Arms"
And if there's something wrong with this
They don't see the harm
In joining their forces and singing along


Those were my spinning Jennies. Which one is your Eccles cake?

10 comments:

  1. Rol, curiously you've omitted "Jenny From The Block" by Ms Lopez.... oh well, we'll struggle through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. That was a hard decision to make, but someone had to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Richard's Jenny, Jenny, Jenny. Mathematically three times better than any of your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hate to be difficult, but really Lloyd Cole should have been number 1 in any reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to throw a curveball every now and then... that's why the blog's called MY Top Ten rather than YOUR Top Ten. ;-p

      Delete
  5. Hole - Jennifer's Body from one of my most favourite albums, Live Through This.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From a band who also released an album called Celebrity Skin... I'm not surprised to find you're a fan.

      Delete
  6. 'Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf' (Oh Jennifer) is a much better Killers track for me, but I've always been a sucker for that anthomy sort of sad snow patrolly thing. Maybe you could do a 'your' top ten and a 'you're' top ten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry.

      Leave the Bourbon On The Shelf will be making an appearance here soon...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...