Tuesday 10 January 2017

January #7 - Another Smash From Luke?



7. Luke Haines - Smash The System

Smash The System is Luke Haines's first "proper album" in ten years, although he's released a number of bizarre concept albums in that time. Some of these I have adored (9 1/2 Psychedelic Meditations on British Wrestling of the 1970s & Early '80s; New York In The 70's; and his astounding 2012 collaboration with Cathal Coughlan and Andrew Meuller, an alternate history of the British Isles titled The North Sea Scrolls). Others, though, have passed my by very quickly (Rock 'n' Roll Animals) or left me completely cold (British Nuclear Bunkers).

I was very excited by the promise of a non-concept album from him after all this time: probably too excited. Although there are a number of good songs here (notably Cosmic Man, Marc Bolan Blues and Haines's apt tribute to The Incredible String Band), ironically, this record's downfall appears to be a lack of coherence.

The title track is a cracker though. The catchy chorus even had my three year old boy singing, "Smash The System!" at the top of his voice in the car... and later, in the supermarket. This drew some funny looks from the Daily Mail readers in Morrison's already disturbed by the Mexican couscous in my trolley... but sod 'em.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, "Smash the system!" I love that - a slogan from my misspent youth, up there with "No future!", "I hate school!" and "Down with Teds!" (although best to only whisper that last one) but probably more relevant now than ever... I haven't quite made up my mind about the track itself, but absolutely love the thought of your three-year-old singing that in Morrisons. Your work there is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next week I'm teaching him Anarchy In The UK!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...