Wednesday 6 June 2018

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #27 - Dear Friends





Hilda died on Sunday night.

She was my mum's best friend, since they were girls.

I asked mum how she was feeling today and she said she was sad, but she was trying to be pragmatic about it. "She went quick, like she'd have wanted." She said she'd called Hilda in the hospital early Sunday evening and she sounded OK, though she obviously wasn't feeling well.

"Maybe I was the last one to talk to her," Mum said. "Do you know what she said to me, the last thing...? 'What's been happening in Coronation Street?' Typical Hilda!"




5 comments:

  1. Tough for your mum, but also a lovely little tribute here from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So poignant, and my sympathies to your dear mum... but sums it all up just perfectly; the bittersweetness, humour and pathos of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Times like these I appreciate this blog more than ever. Writing these little things down helps me process them and stops me internalising them. The target audience for posts such as these is mainly me, so it's always reassuring when other people respond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sweet little tribute to your Mum's old mate Rol. Hilda is such a Corrie name too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! (Couldn't find any songs about Hildas though.)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...