Tuesday 9 July 2019

Hot 100 #34



34 is a band, straight out of Kansas City, Missouri, one of those metal bands whose singer is in desperate need of a packet of Fisherman's Friends. Hear them roar here.

The number 34 proved to be another tricky one on the countdown, but as always you did your best to furnish me with suggestions.

Lynchie kicked off this week with a good ol' boy...

Ray Wylie Hubbard - Up Against The Wall, Redneck Mother

And it's up against the wall, redneck mother
Mother who has raised her son so well
He's 34 and drinkin' in a honky tonk
Just kickin' hippies' asses and raisin' hell...

Those bloody hippies, eh?

YouTube tells me that was "made famous by J.J. Walker". I suppose that depends on your definition of the word "famous".

Next to arrive last week was Douglas, still perturbed that I hadn't chosen either Bruce or Billy last week (I know, it kills me too) who decides to go a little off the beaten track this week as a result. I'll let him explain...
Monsters of Folk were a sort of one-off supergroup of Americana folk-rock greats, made up of Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes, Jim James (My Morning Jacket) and M. Ward. They take turns songwriting and taking lead vocals, and though I love the album, it is as a result a little uneven...like they haven't fully learned each other's strengths and are in a bit of a tug of war for the reins. But there are some fantastic moments in there, including this song:
Monsters of Folk - Man Named Truth

Pain was hunting me down but I gave him the slip
then I fell in love with identical twins
They lived 34 summers between the two of them
I gave one my ego, I gave one my id
Yeah, I gotta get back to my pretty little twins
Don't ever buy nothin' from a man named truth
Don't ever buy nothin' from a man named truth
I'll tell you right now that it ain't no use
Don't ever buy nothin' from a man named truth.

Pretty deep that. Shame I'm so shallow. Luckily, Douglas had that covered too with his second suggestion...

Weird Al Yankovic - Skipper Dan

...doin' 34 shows every day
And every time it's the same
Look at those hippos, they're wigglin' their ears
Just like they've done for the last 50 years.

Next through the doors was Martin, who offered a couple more lyrical suggestions that he wisely assessed would be in my own library...

The Fall - I'm Going To Spain

I've sold my car, thrown in my job,
I'm 34 years old...

...you better hurry up and get there before Brexit.

Reverend & The Makers - What The Milkman Saw

What's going on at number 34?
Kev says there's bodies buried underneath the floor...

Rigid Digit was left scratching his head again this week, resorting to that perennial standby...

Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow

34 - Sorbetdeluge

Now, before we get onto this week's winner, here's the customary trawl through my hard-drive…

Elton John - The Ballad of Danny Bailey (1909 - 34)

Molina & Johnson - 34 Blues

Al Stewart - The Last Day of June 1934

In a week of slim pickings though, it was C who provided our salvation, with a classic Lieber/Stoller composition. C originally suggested the version by The Searchers, but then wisely directed us to the original by The Clovers. I'm rather partial to the version by The Coasters too.

I took my troubles down to Madame Ruth
You know that gypsy with the gold-capped tooth
She's got a pad down on Thirty-Fourth and Vine
Selling little bottles of Love Potion Number Nine


33 next week. Should be a little easier, given revolutions per minute. What have you got for me?

9 comments:

  1. The New Mastersounds - 'Thirty Three', The Smashing Pumpkins - 'Thirty-Three', George Jones - 'Four-O-Thirty-Three', Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters - 'Three Thirty Three'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waylon Jennings "The 33rd of August"

    "It's the 33rd of August
    And I'm finally touching down
    Eight days from Sunday
    Finds me Saturday bound."

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about when Grace Jones sounds a lot like Dusty Springfield in 'I've Done It Again' from Nightclubbing.

    "I was there when Jenny Lind first sang
    First to feel the cold Alaskan white man
    First to take a trip on sled
    First to vote for Roosevelt back in '33"

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Without resorting to the ultimate get out clause)

    33 1/3 - Jesus and Mary Chain

    33 - Sinaed O-Connor

    4:33AM (running Shoes On) - Roger Waters

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Allan Coe - Cell #33
    Before he became outlaw country music's resident eccentric that would do anything for a publicity stunt, his debut album was actually some really good blues material, including this song about a fragile prisoner that has just received some bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, there are loads....

    33rpm Soul by Michelle Shocked?

    Boom by Prince has the lyric "Run your fingers up and down the obelisk in the earth, down to 33rpm where the primordial gives birth..."

    Blue Jeans & White T-shirts by The Gaslight Anthem: "Still we sing with our heroes, 33 rounds per minute..."

    Sword of Damocles by Lou Reed: "Last night on 33rd street, I saw a kid get hit by a bus..."

    Nat West-Barclays-Midlands-Lloyds by the Manics: "Barclays iron eagle, 33 injection..."

    And Christ, by Luke Haines, which begins thus:
    "At the age of 33 and a third, the time that Christ spent on earth,
    I decided to cut all ties with showbiz.
    As the awards piled up in the bath, well I started to laugh
    At all those who died in the name of light entertainment."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Douglas McLaren11 July 2019 at 17:02

    I guess I will try playing the Canadian card again this week.

    For starters, I wish there were recordings available of any of Gordon Lightfoot's renditions of "The 33rd of August" which he apparently undertook in studio in 1969 as an attempt to put together a final contractually obligated album of covers for UA, which sadly was aborted and the decision was made to deliver with a live album instead. The recordings are out there somewhere... anyway, for the record I prefer the original Mickey Newbury version of this song to others out there.

    But for Canadian content, I am left suggesting Stars' song Personal, which is a very sad short story of a song told back and forth through his-and-hers personal columns responses which ends with the heartache of being stood up. It starts thus:

    "Wanted single F under 33
    Must enjoy the sun, must enjoy the sea
    Sought by single M, Mrs. Destiny
    Send photo to address, is it you and me?

    Reply to single M, my name is Caroline
    Cell phone number here, call if you have the time
    28 and bored, grieving over loss, sorry to be heavy
    But heavy is the cost, heavy is the cost..."

    That's all I got.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...