Monday 8 July 2019

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #35: Will I Ever Catch Another Butterfly?


No teaching at the moment, though I'm snowed under at work with admin. It's dull, but at least I get to put on my headphones and listen to some tunes while I'm doing it. I tend to create my own playlists on Google Music and then use the "radio" function to let google pick other songs that match that playlist. I've made some cool new discoveries that way and also heard some songs I haven't listened to in years.

Here's one of those... and when it came on my headphones I felt a little lump in my throat. By the last verse, I was wiping tears from my eyes. That's Mid-Life Crisis for you. Even the memory of the Muppets version couldn't staunch my tears.

Do you remember days
Not so very long ago
When the world was run by
People twice your size
And the days were full of laughter
And the nights were full of stars
And when you grew tired you
Could close your eyes...

And I wonder if the
Smell of mornings faded
What happened to the robin's
Song that sparkled in the sky?
Where's all the water gone
That tumbled down the stream?
Will I ever catch another butterfly?

Now I watch my son
He's playing with his toys
He's happy and I
Give him all I can

But I can't help feeling
Just a little tingly inside
When I hear him say
He wants to be a man

Sorry. Something in my eye.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...