Monday 1 July 2019

Radio Songs #68 - Face For Radio


(Click the image to make it readable.)

Here's something that follows on quite nicely from Friday's post. It's a strip I wrote for a friend of mine to draw a few years back, that was published in a newspaper-style anthology. I always found it tough writing really short stories, particularly in comics format. But this worked quite well for what is was. I will hold up my hand and say it owes a sizeable debt to Les McQueen from The League of Gentlemen, but he was a faded pop star, not a has-been DJ.

It wasn't the first time my experiences in radio inspired a comic strip. More on that another time, maybe.

The title, "Face For Radio" is an old, self-deprecating DJ gag, explaining away why they never got any TV work. It also inspired Scottish band The View to pen this little tune... which is a lot better than I remember.



3 comments:

  1. Great strip Rol. Les McQueen? Now there was a real pop star, not like today's lot. 'I’d walk in a urinal and heads would turn....'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes great comic strip, brilliant work from you both - more please.
    Ah bless old Les McQueen, I always felt desperately sorry for him. I also had this feeling that I knew him somehow too... perhaps I've come across a few too many people who "used to be in a band"?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great comic strip - Sad of course too. When you get to a certain age there are so many examples in the real world of people, and aspects of our culture, who/that are no longer around.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...