Friday 8 May 2020

Positive Songs For Negative Times #17: Window Seat


This isn't my house. It's just a picture I found on the interweb. But it does represent (in grander fashion, perhaps) how many of us are seeing the world at the moment.

My "office" is now in the corner of a bedroom, staring out on a cul de sac and a footpath popular with dog walkers and those taking their allotted hour of daily exercise. I sit here trying to teach online classes (not the future) and avoid as many Teams meetings as I can, while the anxiety of having to work from home while also balance home-schooling Sam with Louise (who is also working from home) threatens to crush me.

I often find myself glancing out and watching the world go by, particularly when I'm on a call. The most entertaining thing is watching families, who clearly have never been on a family walk together pre-coronavirus, try to navigate this strange new world they've been forced into.

You take your light relief wherever you can grab it these days.

This is kinda appropriate, even though JWH is actually singing about about a window seat on a plane. Remember planes?

And I know I've got the whole world at my feet
In my window seat 



3 comments:

  1. Good post Rol, really captures some of what this is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with that window seat...

    I feel for you, and all those trying to juggle work, home-schooling, etc. I'm full of admiration for you.
    Working from home is the norm for me so I know I'm really lucky - and I do most of it from a modest but adapted potting shed (ie. it has heat, lighting and music!) in our little garden. I have a feeling sales of sheds/garden buildings could be on the up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that nook full of books and am jealous of some of the shelves you see behind the people being interviewed on telly right now - No space in our house though.

    Yes must be tricky indeed having to both work from home yet simultaneously home-school a small child. I feel for you. The way the cards have fallen both DD and my mum are elsewhere for the lockdown which has made it a lot easier for us than it could have been.

    Funny you should say that about the families who are experiencing walks together for the first time. Many of the locals are complaining about there being a lot more people out and about but in the absence of being able to exercise anywhere else I am surprised that there aren't even more. Many are choosing to never leave the house at all which will lead to other issues down the line.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...