Thursday 14 May 2020

Positive Songs For Negative Times #18: Dandelions




We're very lucky. Not only do we live within easy walking distance of beautiful countryside, but less than a 60 second walk from our house there is an enormous sport field which is virtually empty most of the time... and if other people are there, big enough that you can spread out easily. It's a boon when you have an energetic 6 year old. Get him to run around the football pitch a few times, or chuck a hacky sack (or Hackensack, as I like to call it, in tribute to the Fountains Of Wayne) over the rugby posts in an extended game of catch. We've spent a lot of time there over the last few weeks in a our "daily hour" of exercise.

One thing I've noticed is how many dandelions there are on that pitch this year. Most years they'd be long since kicked away by the Sunday league football teams... but with only dog walkers and the occasional game of catch played there at the moment, the dandelions are taking over. I know they're a weed, but I appreciate their colour.


Holmfirth Co-op car park, Saturday lunchtime. Normally at this time of year it'd be packed with day-trippers wanting to relive the golden yesteryear of Summer Wine. Now I swear you can spot tumbleweed.


I find myself appreciating the sky more at the moment. It helps me stay calm.


I've looked at clouds from both sides now...


...and the sky looks very different today-ay-ay.

Scarecrow of the week. From the local allotments. "This will be a day long remembered."


Finally, more flowers. Bluebells. They're on the endangered species list, apparently. Not round here. Not right now. And they always make me feel Young At Heart.

 


4 comments:

  1. Fantastic pictures and so many song connections. I really liked Hackensack but always think Billy Joel when I hear that name.

    You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. The dandelions are prolific around here too as just not being cut by the town’s grass cutters at the moment. Next year they will pop up everywhere but least of our worries probably.

    Enjoy the bluebells and stay young at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever meet Foggy Dewhurst in the Holmfirth Co-op car park?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live in a splendid part of the world. Living in a city I love urban walking but always throw in a couple of parks/disused railway lines/nature reserves to mix it up a bit.

    The Bluebells were never really my thing, but I loved Lawrence Donegan's fantastic book about his time as a used car salesman in America. A very, very funny read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of dandelions:

    "One o'clock, two o'clock, three o'clock, four o'clock chimes
    Dandelions don't care about the time
    Dandelion don't tell no lies
    Dandelion will make you wise
    Tell me if she laughs or cries
    Blow away dandelion, blow away dandelion"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBnGoS0n_VE

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...