Friday 14 July 2023

Grumpy Old Men Songs #25: Just Remember


I stumbled across Teeside's Andrew Johnson on bandcamp a while back and was tempted by his annual subscription of £10 which got me access to his entire digital back catalogue (more than I'll ever get round to listening to, to be honest) plus new CD releases sent in the post and bonus items (most recently, this was an edition of a comic he wrote and drew as a much younger man). I'm not sure he can possibly make any profit on this, but I've already had more than my tenner's worth and I've only been subscribed for a few months. He makes music in a bunch of different styles, most notably indie/singer-songwritery (but occasionally off at wilder tangents) and there's something of the Stephen Duffy / Lilac Time to the best of his material, which is how I got hooked in.

I don't know how old Andrew is, but he appears to have been making music since the mid-90s when he was quite young, so I'm guessing he's at least ten years younger than me. It therefore feels unfair to call him a Grumpy Old Man, especially as much of his music has a wistful, yearning romanticism. However, the final track on one of his latest collections, Paper Ghosts, properly satisfies my GOM requirements, and it's definitely the best thing I've heard in the last 20 minutes. Worth my £10 subscription all on its own...

Everything goes tits up in the end
It happened to The Beatles
So it'll happen to you, my friend

Don't believe the hype
That life is like a rollercoaster
It's much more like a broken toaster
It burns the things you want the most

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...