Monday 3 July 2023

Celebrity Jukebox #96: Jerry Springer

I should have featured the former Mayor of Cincinnati on the Celebrity Jukebox following his untimely demise back in April... but it seemed like too big a task. The name Jerry Springer has become synonymous with a certain kind of lowest common denominator trash TV, so it's an easy shorthand for songwriters to drop in if they want to diss the worst elements of society, the ones happy to air their soiled undergarments and then have a big ruck in front of millions, thereby fulfilling Andy Warhol's 15 minutes prophecy. But I think there was more to Jerry than all that - he started out as an adviser to Robert F. Kennedy, before becoming a lawyer and then a major public figure... he even considered running for President. And let's face it, he couldn't have done a worse job than the Orange Manchild. As for his notorious TV show, Jerry clearly had a sense of humour about the whole thing (unlike his loathsome UK counterpart, Jeremy Kyle), happy to join in when others were poking fun at it (and him), most notably in Richard Thomas & Stewart Lee's hilarious Jerry Springer: The Opera.

Here are some tunes which do the same thing...

Weird Al Yankovic - Jerry Springer

Let's face it, if you've reached the point where Weird Al does a song about you, immortality is guaranteed. Likewise another great Jerry...

Jerry Reed - The Jerry Springer Show

Even Polish rappers love him!

Guzior - Jerry Springer

Speaking of rappers, here's a guy who could easily have been a recurring guest on Jerry's show...

I strangle you to death then I choke you again
And break your fucking legs till your bones poke through your skin
You beef with me, I'mma even the score equally
Take you on Jerry Springer and beat your ass legally

Eminem - Role Model

"Partner is the "mature" effort of two best friends named Josée Caron and Lucy Niles. Together, with Rock as their trusty guide, they explore a variety of themes in an attempt to understand the meaning of life." Which must be one of the worst artist biogs I've ever read. Shame really, because they make a spendid racket, and tell cool stories too...

When I was a kid
I used to fake sick
Luckily, my mom and dad were
Pretty easy to trick

I was biding my time
Until the house was all mine
To do the one thing I really wanted to

Which was watching daytime TV
While there's no one home to watch me
I'm hanging out with Maury
He's doing a paternity test
Are you the father? Well, it's anybody's guess
And give me Jerry Springer
Judge Joe Brown, Judge Judy, and a TV dinner
I guess the best things in life come free
Like watching daytime TV

Partner - Daytime TV

Bret Michaels was the lead singer of Poison. Despite that, this made me chuckle...

One day Jack came over to apologize
He told me, my ex which is his new girlfriend was out every night
Jack said I think she's been cheating with my new friend Jim
Say you love her too bad cause now she loves him
Pulled a Jerry Springer on me now your outta luck
My new girlfriend thinks you all suck

Bret Michaels - Bittersweet

And here's someone who always makes me chuckle...

When you find out things about yourself
That you hadn't ought to know
When your grandma calls and books you
On the Jerry Springer show
And you find out you and your wife of ten years
Just might be related
Brother, life's not over it's just
Simply complicated

Jimmy Buffet - Simply Complicated

Did you know that Nik Kershaw is still in the go? Oh yes he is...

And very soon, before you know
You'll be "Jilted Romeo"
On some day time T.V. show
Like Jerry Springer's

Nik Kershaw - All Is Fair

There were many, many, many more lyrical mentions of Jerry Springer... but I'm trying to be a little more selective and only link to the ones I like, or I figure one of you guys might dig. Like this little beauty...

Eliza Carthy - Blood On My Boots

Today's winning tune comes from a band I was very into around the turn of the Millennium. Hard to believe it's nearly 25 years since this was released. It's a song in which the lead singer professes his love for the actress Claire Danes, named after the TV show that made her famous (though it also mentions her star-making turn opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet).

I went on Jerry Springer
To confess my love to you
You said I didn't have a chance
And there was nothing I could do
You told me I was crazy
And wished that I was dead.
You threw a chair right upside my head




3 comments:

  1. I had no idea you would know Springer in the UK. I apologize to our friends from across the pond on behalf of America. Yes, we have many more for which to apologize, but this is a start. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gave you James Corden in revenge!

      Delete
    2. He came over here and did a UK version of his show for a while, Brian. Presumably after you guys had kicked him out.

      Personally, I'd take Jerry over James Corden any day of the week. I was very disappointed when he announced he was returning to the UK.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...