Wednesday 12 July 2023

Mid-Life Crisis Songs #97: Live Forever


When you're young, you think you'll live forever. At some point, you realise that's not the case and the end is approaching faster than you'd like. I guess this realisation hits us all at some point, but clearly it's hit me very hard since turning 50 and losing my dad. This blog has become my therapist's couch. It's not answers I'm hoping for, it's acceptance. 

Immortality is craved by many, but I don't think I ever wanted to live forever. I'm already sick of the selfish, self-destructive tendencies of the human race, so the idea of sticking around and watching folk devise new ways to screw up society does not appeal at all. In fact, I'd readily welcome the apocalypse... were it not that I have a son. Sam is my reason for not giving up on the world, or wishing it to end. Because I'd like him to have a good life, to grow old without too much strife, to do his bit to keep the dance alive. That's the immortality I crave right now.


I'm Gonna Live Forever was written by country artist Billy Joe Shaver, with his son Eddy, who recorded together as the eponymous group Shaver back in the 90s. Clearly, Billy Joe sought immortality through art...

Nobody here will ever find me
But I will always be around
Just like the songs I leave behind me
I'm gonna live forever now

Eddy Shaver died of a heroin overdose in the year 2000. Billy Joe lived another 20 years, but I'm guessing with a broken heart.

You fathers and you mothers
Be good to one another
Please try to raise your children right
Don't let the darkness take 'em
Don't make 'em feel forsakеn
Just lead them safely to thе light

I'm Gonna Live Forever was also performed by Robert Duvall in the excellent movie Crazy Heart. And last year, it was covered by Willie Nelson and Lucinda Williams on a Billy Joe Shaver tribute album. So that's a kind of immortality right there.



3 comments:

  1. I visit my mum’s care home regularly and it does make you wonder if longevity is a good thing. That said Willie is making a good job of it if that’s a new cover from him.

    Yes, hoping for Sam’s sake, and DD’s, that they can live in a world free from strife and greed and inequality and … all the rest. However it turns out they need us and we’ll be there for them.

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a couple of years old, but still relatively recent in Willie time.

      Delete
  2. I agree - have no desire whatsoever to live forever But in the meantime the world really needs people like you and your progeny - otherwise the selfish, greedy bastards will win.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...