Thursday 13 September 2018

My Top Ten Burt Reynolds Songs



Time-pressured this week due to the new college year chaos, but I did want to pay tribute to another hero of my childhood who passed last week. Here's ten tunes for Burt...

10. Sammy Kershaw - Cadillac Style

Well, I ain't Burt Reynolds and I ain't Tom Selleck;
I got bills up the pike and my car's an old relic

9. Heatwave - Boogie Nights

Burt's great "comeback" role of the 90s.

8. Gretchen Wilson - Trucker Man

He's got nineteen on the CB
Well they call him the Bandit
Cause he only breaks for the Smokies

7. Ray Stevens - The Cannonball Run

6. Warren Zevon - Sacrificial Lambs

Smokey and the Bandit
And Saddam Hussein
Were staying up late
And acting insane

5. Jerry Reed - Eastbound & Down

4. Don Williams - If Hollywood Don't Need You (Honey I Still Do)

Oh, and if you see Burt Reynolds would you shake his hand for me
And tell ol' Burt I've seen all his movies
Well, I hope you make for big time, I hope your dreams come true
But if Hollywood don't need you, honey, I still do

3. Lee Majors - The Unknown Stuntman

Any excuse to play this!

I might fall from a tall Building, so Burt Reynolds don't get hurt
I might leap a mighty Canyon, so he can kiss and flirt
While that smooth talker's kissing my girl - I'm just kissing dirt
Yes, I'm the lonely stuntman, that made a lover out of Burt

2. Duelling Banjos

Squeal like a pig, boy!

1. Bruce Springsteen - Cadillac Ranch

James Dean in that mercury '49
Junior Johnson runnin' through the woods of Carolina
Even Burt Reynolds in that black Trans Am
All gonna meet down at the Cadillac ranch


I wonder if they threw old Burt's body in the back and drove him to the junkyard in his Cadillac?



RIP, Burt.

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant
    Would never have guessed that he was name checked in so many songs.
    Top top 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list.

    Jerry Reed once teamed up with Waylon Jennings, Mel Tillis, and Bobby Bare in the group Old Dogs and did an album with all the songs written by Shel Silverstein.

    On his album "Too Dumb for New York City, Too Ugly for L.A.", Waylon Jennings has a song titled "Smokey on Your Front Door" - about truckers and Smokey.

    "I can hear you talkin', I can hear you singin' the blues
    You got a smokey on your front door,
    A smokey on your back door too
    Smokey on your front door, a smokey on your back door too"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey Rol, this is an impressive list. RIP Burt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ass CC said above had no idea he's been namechecked so many times.

    Much as I love the sound of duelling banjos, can't separate it from that very disturbing movie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...