Tuesday 11 September 2018

Hot 100 #67


There were a couple of 67 bands I found who might have been used to illustrate this week's edition of the Hot 100... but none of them looked as crazy as this old Vanilla Fudge album cover.

67 proved a much harder number to find songs for than our last two entries, but you still came through with some interesting suggestions...

The Swede kicked off by scouring an old hard drive (the lengths you will go to!) to dig up Habitat '67 by Eat Lights Become Lights, "a combo who were apparently once lauded by the NME for '...mixing Krautrock rhythms and celestial drones to heavenly effect...'". Or as I might have put it, "9 minutes of ambient nonsense". Thanks anyway, Swede.

Martin gave a second shout out to Chicago - Questions 67 & 68, which I must admit is really growing on me. One more question and they might have done it. He also offered Elton John - Old 67... which is not bad for 21st Century Elt. With those two suggestions, I wonder if we should start calling Martin MORtin?

Slightly less MOR was Martin's final suggestion - seconded by Rigid Digit: King's X - 67. Love the guitar on that, guys.

Lynchie suggested a classic bit of rocksteady... Melodians - Last Train To Expo '67... and a lyrical 67 from Steve Earle in Someday...

I got me a 67 Chevy, she's low and sleek and black
Someday I'll put her on that interstate and never look back...

Lynchie also offered Johnny Cash as a potential lyrical suggestion not just for this week but every week between 70 and 49. Tempting, because I love One Piece At A Time.

Finally C arrived, touting The Dave Matthews Band - Gravedigger. Never really got Dave Matthews, but I gave it a listen and it wasn't half bad.

Little Mikey Carson 67 to 75
He rode his
Bike like the devil until the day he died
When he grows up he wants to be Mr. Vertigo on the flying trapeze
Oh, 1940 to 1992

So what did I find in my own bag of tricks?

Lord Kitchener - '67

The Brian Jonestown Massacre featuring Tim Burgess - Fact 67

And then... this... which I only discovered last year when somebody recommended it for another Top Ten I wrote (might have been My Top Ten Taxi Songs). A very popular suggestion from you guys though - with Martin, C, Rigid Digit and Jim Dubai all voting for it. Yes, it's cheesy... but it's my kind of cheesy!



66 next? Too obvious? Any other suggestions gratefully received, but I think we all know the winner...


9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to getting my kicks on ROute 66 NEXT WEEK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apologies for the Trump CAPITALS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Scot it loathes me to suggest this but 1966 and All that by Half Man Half Biscuit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from the obvious route and the HMHB excellence, I can only offer 66 by The Afghan Whigs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about 66 Promises by PJ Harvey?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best version of "Route 66" is to be found on the "Got Live If You Want It!" EP released in Summer 1965. Honest!

    Back in 1999, I saw The Stones live for the last time. There were 2 stages - the main stage and a smaller one (which they crossed to via a small bridge - it was the Bridges to Babylon tour!) slap bang in the middle of the crowd . They blew the place away with the the small stage opener - "Route 66". It was righteous - like hearing them do their R&B stuff for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm having trouble getting beyond Route 66 or 1966 And All That.
    How about (lyrically) Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
    "666, the number of the beast"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66, this is an artist but a tune you here every four years at the world cup when Brazil are playing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peace.
    Neil
    Eat lights Become lights

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...