Wednesday 3 October 2018

2018 Contenders: Angry Cyclists of the World, Unite & Take Over!


It's been a while since I found myself drawn into a new Proclaimers album - no fault of theirs, merely my inability to keep up with all the bands in my bailiwick. The title track of their latest release seized me by the throat the second I heard it on the radio though, and it's refused to let go. It's definitely one of the best songs they've ever written - and topical too.

Frankly, this is the best song Billy Bragg hasn't written this year - a year in which we've been crying out for someone such as he to cast a caustic eye over the world and decide we're all going to hell in a handbasket. I wouldn't have expected the Reid brothers to be the ones to step into Billy's shoes in the way they have, but in Angry Cyclist they've found the perfect metaphor for our crazy mixed up world in 2018... and the rest of the album's not bad either.

For me I feel this era has been kissed
Kissed

By the aura of an angry cyclist
List

Black clothing, so sincere
Red anger, born of fear
There's nothing half as queer as today

I take a few steps back to gain perspective
Perspective

And kid myself that I can be objective
Objective

(This is the moment when the slow build-up ends, the beat kicks in, and the Proclaimers - yes, the bloody Proclaimers! - blow the doors off your stereo!)

Watch bigotry advance
Give ignorance a chance
We're facists, we will dance by and by!



One of the songs of the year. From the Proclaimers. Who'd have thought it?


9 comments:

  1. Blimey. Genuinely blown away by this. Tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know they're still angry. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not just me that's having an increase in comment spam then...

    Proclaimers track is great, properly great. And what a video too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They must be desperate spamming me since none of the 7 people reading this blog are likely to buy a karaoke machine.

      I feel really awful now though because in deleting their spam, I accidentally deleted Charity Chico's comment too. Sorry, CC.

      Delete
    2. I've got a karaoke machine!

      Delete
    3. So you don't need to buy one.

      Delete
    4. True - but I have at some point (for DD to be fair).

      Delete
  4. Way to go, fellas!
    Thanks, Rol. Probably would have missed this one. I always root for the Reid brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Craig. Go Charlie. Still doing their thing, very well indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...