Friday 12 October 2018

The United Kingdom of Song #6: Camber Sands


I've never been to Camber Sands, but from the looks of all the gloriously airbrushed pictures of it on t'internet, it is a little slice of paradise.

Being a tiny village with a huge beach, it's hard to find anyone famous who comes from this idyllic locale... but it does crop up in a few songs. Fatboy Slim even named an EP after it. (Hardly Norman's most exciting 6 minutes, to be fair.)

Other contenders then...

Suede - Europe Is Our Playground (that'll be pre-Brexit Brett)

Run with me baby let's make a stand 
From peepshows to disco from Spain to Camber Sands

Feeder - Oh My

The TV's on but there's no sound
Her confidence was shot down
She felt the water at her feet
Dreaming there's an ocean all around
Childhood memories at Camber Sands

Oh, and all hail... our first destination to find its way into a Half Man Half Biscuit song (I do check every week). Amazing that it took us six weeks to hear from "Mansfield's very own Steve Malkmus"...

Half Man Half Biscuit - Lark Descending

Yeah that was me, down at Camber Sands
Signing in to my chalet as
J Buckley
J Buckley
J Buckley
Unlikely

And here's our very close second place this week... had I not featured it on this blog just a few weeks back...

Reverend & The Makers - Heavyweight Champion of the World

At school he used to dream about
Being Bruce Lee
But the need for chops in the Manor top
Ain't all that great you see
And so he gave up
On his black belt and first Dan
As near as he got to China
Was a week in Camber sands

However, I'm sure most of you guessed this week's winning song as soon as you saw our destination in the post title. Yes, it's this joyful little slice of seaside smut from the Squeeze siblings...

They do it in Waikiki too, you know.


640 miles north next week, to the Highlands... and a song that's bound to meet the approval of certain members of our Scottish contingent.


3 comments:

  1. Never been there either but a place-name I know so well, perhaps in part due to more than one of these songs.
    I'm enjoying our tour of the UK with you Rol - shame we can't all do it for real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the title, and the only track I could think of was the Squeeze one.
    Who knew there were others?

    In other Camber Sands Trivia News: Large parts of Carry On Follow That Camel were filmed there.
    When I visited there (only once), I noted the uncanny likeness between Camber Sands and the Sahara Desert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liking the look of Camber Sands I must admit - mentioned in the same breath as Waikiki too!

    As for next week, I'm intrigued now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...