Friday 26 October 2018

The United Kingdom of Song #8: Rotherham


Just a few miles south of the town I work in is sunny Rotherham. I skived off work one afternoon in the summer a few years back and went to have a look round their charity shops. (CC would be proud.) I recognise the buildings in the picture above, although to be fair it's not representative of the rest of the town.

Rotherham is the birthplace of Pulp drummer Nick Banks; Jo Callis, guitarist from The Rezillos, and later The Human League; Chris Wolstenholme, the bassist from Muse... and The Chuckle Brothers.

I could only find two tunes that mention Rotherham, but both a worth a spin. First there's this...

In Yorkshire near Rotherham, he had been on the ramble
Weary of traveling, he sat down to rest
By the foot of yon' mountain
Lays a clear flowing fountain
With bread and cold water he himself did refresh



And then, perhaps more obviously, there's this classic Rotherham rhyme...

And yeah, I'd love to tell you all my problem
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon, and put down the handbook

(Shout out to all residents of Hunter's Bar in Sheffield who also get a nod in this song.)



186 miles down to the West Country next week for a truly spiritual experience...


2 comments:

  1. Rotherham is one of the many places to get a mention in the KLF's It's Grim Up North

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed listening to John Martyn's "Spencer the Rover." Just what I needed today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...