Thursday 14 March 2019

Radio Songs #58: The Attack


The last couple of radio posts have involved some of the ne'er-do-wells I encountered during my 20+ years working at an inner city radio station, and today's is another one of those... if a little more serious.

This was later in my radio career, when I was working daytime. Usually I got into work extra early - between 7 and 7.30 - to avoid the traffic and left around 4.30. I spent the first hour or so at work doing my own thing - writing projects, mostly - but I had a good manager at that time and as long as the proper work got done at some point during the day, he didn't care what I spent the rest of my time on. (Those were the days!)

This particular day, however, I arrived late to work due to a doctor's appointment. During the day, we didn't park in the courtyard, but in a large open air car park round the back of the building. (At some point, long before I worked there, the back half of the old textile mill had been demolished to make a car park for the offices that had taken over the front half.)

Driving towards the car park that day, I was following an old car that was going slowly. Aware that I was already pretty late, I was getting pretty frustrated with his driving... so when he stopped in the middle of the road without any indication to let a passenger out, my frustration began to boil over. Particularly when said passenger then proceeded to walk down the centre of the narrow side street we were on even after his ride had departed, effectively blocking the whole street and preventing me from getting past.

Eventually I lost my cool completely, blew my horn at him and shared a few choice words about how he should get out of the blinking road... which he eventually did, allowing me to drive past and get into the car park.

I parked my car, collected my things, exited the car park and began walking down the pavement that led around the side of the building to the main entrance... when out of nowhere, I was attacked from behind. I was pushed to the ground and kicked repeatedly by the man I'd blown my horn at earlier. I was up against the building, shielding my face, while he screamed at me that he was going to put my head through a window.

Somehow, I managed to calm him down. I'm still not quite sure how. I apologised, maybe begged a little, told him... I'm not sure I can remember what, but he stopped attacking me. At which point, he had a radical change of personality and actually helped me up off the street, dusted me off and picked up my bag, apologising profusely for his behaviour.

Stunned by now, I just wanted to get away, so I took my bag and hurried off towards work. As I did so, his personality shifted again and he began screaming after me, "next time, I'll fucking kill you!"

There's a lesson here about how we behave as motorists when we think we're protected inside our little metal bubble, but mostly... well, mostly I think today's song probably sums up what happened that day more than anything else I can write.

3 comments:

  1. Crikey - that must have been really frightening. Well done on calming him down. Yes, we do tend to be a lot braver in our tin boxes than we would be standing vulnerably in the street, when we just look the other way when something kicks off. My other half used to get really cross with me if there was ever a bit of an argument in a pub - I was fascinated and would stare at what was happening, but as he said, he would be the one who would be turned upon if they noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god, that is incredibly scary and as Alyson says, well done on calming him down. I cannot imagine how I'd deal with such a thing, it must have really shaken you up. The unpredictability of people when hearing about instances like this is what is particularly frightening, especially if they're off their heads. I had a horrible experience as a 14-year old when a big drunken hippy bloke pushed me to the ground and got on top of me in a park, but I had my friends around and we managed to leg it. His drunkenness was definitely to my advantage there. All I remember feeling was ashamed and that it was somehow my fault (I never told my parents!) And re. the metal box thing, absolutely. Mr SDS gets wound up when selfish people drive a certain way and tends to react - I'm always telling him: just leave it, show you don't actually care what a tosser they're being!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeezo - talk about your road rage.
    Thankfully, I gave up driving a long while ago, so only have to contend with the occasional close encounter on the bus or in the street. For years now I only go into the city centre after dark if I'm with a group of chums.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...