Sunday 24 March 2019

Saturday Snapshots #76 - The Answers


You know that it would be untrue. You know that I would be a liar. If I were to say to you... I can't remember the answers to this week's Saturday Snapshots. Although, I did have to puzzle over some of them myself this week: I blame to post-viral lethargy. Or maybe they were particularly fiendish.

Mathematics proves impossible when your head is full of gunge, so I can't work out a winner this week, though everyone had a good go. Thanks for playing as always.


10. Pork from the top of the world leads you into a talent competition.


Far North Ham? Far N Ham?

There's no pleasing some people.

John Farnham - You're The Voice

9. Count down four places to discover Barbie takes 1000 heavy swings to get round the golf course.


Dolly's par is a ton, see? Easy when you know how.

Dolly Parton - 9 To 5

8. Climbing beanstalks after 10 leads to a sad, horny godson.


After 10 is 11, so that would make him Jack 11. If you're going to tell me it's pronounced Lee-ven, I'm going to say: it's a visual pun, not an auditory one.

Jackie Leven - The Sexual Loneliness Of Jesus Christ

7. Gracie's singular song is a let down.


Gracie Fields. In the singular would be Field. A song is music.

Field Music - Disappointed

6. Clock - e = belt fastener + y. Bluebottle.


Time - e = Tim. Buckle + y = Buckley.

Tim Buckley - Buzzin' Fly

5. Neon Robert, cured, follows Duran Duran to the sand.


The chemical symbol for neon is Ne. Add Robert Smith.

Mike Nesmith - Rio 

(Far superior to the Duran Duran song.)

4. Sweet on your tongue, a dancing football chant.


At football matches they (apparently) shout "Oggy Oggy Oggy". This is one of the many reasons I do not attend football matches.

The extra clue I gave involved a line from Smokey Robinson's I Second That Emotion, in which Smokey sings "A taste of honey is worse than none at all".

A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie

3. Found in a sound gallery, where Black Sabbath meets Woody's ex. (Low bridge not pictured.)


Art of Noise would be found in a sound gallery.

Black Sabbath sang Paranoid.

Woody Allen's ex is Mia Farrow.

The low bridge, not pictured, was this virtual gentleman, who provided the vocals to this odd 80s novelty tune...


Art of Noise (featuring Max Headroom) - Paranoimia

2. Wet Wet Wet, Heaven 17 and Elvis Costello can't tell the difference between rugby, soccer and ten pin bowling.


Wet Wet Wet, Heaven 17 and Elvis Costello all sang about Temptation.

The Temptations - Ball Of Confusion

1. Solipsistic gangsters don't wake up.


Solipsistic gangsters would say "I Am The Mob" since they would believe that only the self exists and thereby not believe in any other gangsters. Which then begs the question why they would need to be gangsters in the first place, and that is today's homework.

Anyway, if they couldn't wake up, they may be catatonic.

Ah, Cerys, were we ever that young?




This Is The End, Beautiful Friend... at least until next Saturday.


5 comments:

  1. I arrived late yesterday but this one was a real toughie. Difficult to say who was top of the answers list, but - deep down - I think that, in some sort of way, we're all winners, aren't we.

    Hope you're feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the winner Rol - for hosting this weekend puzzler from your sick bed.

    As ever, thanks for testing us to the Max (Headroom). Hope you’re well and truly on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pedant alert!
    "takes 1000 heavy swings to get round the golf course"
    Surely you mean 100 to create the clue for Par-Ton?
    I'd have got that one
    (No I wouldn't, it was Saturday morning and I wasn't awake"

    All the best to your recovery

    Catatonia gives me a blog idea: Female fronted Brtipop Bands
    There were a few very good ones (even if I have spent my life confusing Lush's Single Girl as a Sleeper track)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am rubbish at weights and measures, but when I looked up ton, it told me about the metric ton, equivalent to 1000 kg, as opposed to the old money ton, or the "ton = 100 nicker".

      Delete
  4. I wish I had been awake to guess Rio by Mike Nesmith. One of my absolute favorites. Hope you're well, Rol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...